FS: New Panamorph P752 Anamorphic Lens - LIMITED TIME OFFER!

Discussion in 'Hardware Classifieds' started by alan halvorson, Jul 22, 2005.

1. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I have for sale one brand new, never used, P752 Panamorph Anamorphic Lens. This is a universal anamorphic lens that can be used on most (maybe all - I don't know of any exceptions) 4:3 digital projectors. I don't know why I ordered this since I have already decided to go with a CRT, but I do stuff like that. Look here for the description on the Panamorph site. Instructions for setup and use are there also. I have opened the box to verify that the contents are complete and to check for shipping damage (none). I am the original owner - I got it directly from Panamorph.

Price is $415 plus shipping and insurance, the same that I paid and less than the current price. This price is non-negotiable as I still have time to return it to Panamorph for a full refund. Thus - YOU MUST DECIDE QUICKLY IF YOU WANT THIS LENS. If this is not sold within a few days, I will return it to Panamorph.

I accept PAYPAL and USPS money orders only. WARNING! Money orders must arrive by Wednesday, July 27 and no later. I have been active on this forum since 1998 and have bought and sold to many members here. My Ebay Id is nutgoodie . My current rating is 627 with no negatives or neutrals. I've mainly dealt with laser discs.

For those who don't know - what is this thing and why would anyone want it? What it is is a lens that sits (or hangs) in front of and very close to a digital projector lens. It's designed to squeeze a 4:3 picture vertically to a 16:9 height. This is possible because no matter whether a dvd is anamorphically enhanced or not, it is still stored in the 4:3 format. Of course, this lens is only effective on anamorphically enhanced dvds. The lens can be slid aside when non-anamorphically enhanced or full screen dvds are played. The advantage to a lens such as this is that when playing anamorphically enhanced dvds, all the pixels in your 4:3 projector are used and not just those that map out the 16:9 shape. You get to use your projectors full resolution all the time with higher light output as a bonus! For instance, the projector I intended to use this with has a resolution of 1400 x 1050. When 16:9 dvds are played, resolution is reduced to 1400 x 787. However, when this lens is in place, resolution is still 1400 x 1050! In other words, you can have your cake and eat it too. Now you can watch those IMAX dvds in their full screen glory rather than in a reduced sized box in the middle with bars on the sides like those with only 16:9 projectors and still take advantage of anamorphically enhanced dvds. The only modifications to your system is to set your dvd player to 16:9 and your projector to 4:3. If you enjoy both widescreen and full screen sources, as I do, a 4:3 projector with an anamorphic lens is the best way to go.

P.S. I believe an anamorphic lens will work with 16:9 projectors also, but I'm not certain how.

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Not much response. This is a relatively cheap way to increase the resolution of your 4:3 projector when playing anamorphic dvds and not have to accept a reduced picture size when playing full-screen material like 16:9 projector owners must. The main reason I posted it here is to give someone a price break. The original price on this lens was something like $2,000. Look over the Panamorph site and see what other lens cost and realize what a bargain this is.