What's new

FS: "Modified" Audiosource SW-15 Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
** 1/17/2004: This item is no longer for sale. I have placed this item up for auction on Ebay. **

I have the following for sale:

- Audiosource SW 15 subwoofer: standard 200 watt plate amp, original driver has been removed. In place, the Parts Express 15" Dayton DVC driver has been installed. Additionally, all of the cabinet walls inside the case have been lined with polyfill.

Condition: 8 on a scale of 10. Some very minor marks on the corners, etc.

Price: $200 + shipping.

Or, if you are in Northern Virginia, it can be picked up locally.

Trade References: Heatware for "wje"

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Could you measure the lenght of the 2 ports and the internal dimensions so we could get an idea of the volume and tune of the enclosure?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Stephen,

The details are as follows:

Internal dimensions:
18" deep
15" wide
18.5" high

Ports:
2 ports, 3" diameter, 6" long (each)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

The sub would best compare to an "Internet" sub such as: A Tempest-based sub in a 85L cabinet (approx. 3 cu. feet.) The "Q" for this driver in such a cabinet would be approx a .8 - and does best with rock and pop music. Getting lower "Q" for audiophile bass would mean quite a larger cabinet. A "Q" of .7 or so, is good for someone who wants to use the sub for both music and home theater. With this sub, I've used it for listening to modern jazz to augument my two main speakers. I was quite happy with the sound and the performance and thought it performed quite well with movies, too.

At best, I'm sure that I didn't utilize much more than 60% of its capabilities. My daughter has a bedroom 3 levels up, and during many movies, she'd ask me to turn things down a bit because the sub was creating some vibrations in her room. ;)

In regards to what it would compare to at the retail level? Not sure if there is a sub out there where a fair "apples" to "apples" comparison could be made. Many of the driver parameters of such subwoofers are not available, so it's pretty hard to be able to plug the numbers into some models to get answers. However, I do know that this sub would easily "best" the 12", 170-watt Velodyne that is sold @ Circuit City for $499.

Also, the ports for this box are not really suitable for this current setup. I've been crunched for time, but I did intend to make some plugs to seal them off and use this sub as a sealed box. However, now that I have my garage all "dusted" up with MDF dust, I'm going to go on and build a new pair of subs - so, I need to sell this beast. :)

Joe.Kuta

Stunt Coordinator
I recently modified my SW-15 as well.

The new driver really helps, sounds very very tight (if needed),
while the old driver (even with polyfil) sounded muddy and muffled to me at all times.

If you are interested at all in home theater I would suggest re-porting the enclosure.
I placed a 4" precision port on the top of mine, plugged the stock ports, and it goes strong down to 30Hz,
where it could never reach before.

http://www.ku74.net/kutaudio/Ported2013.JPG
http://www.ku74.net/kutaudio/Ported2025.JPG
http://www.ku74.net/sub/RoomSpeakerPix036.JPG (new amp too)

I have read that the Dayton DVC is comparable to my driver.

For music (with stock porting) there is a bass hump (boost) right where most people want it but enthusiasts might prefer the flattest response.
http://www.ku74.net/kutaudio/tech.htm

This is a pretty good deal,
the sub is worth at least $300.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Here's some more pictures of the drivers for comparison purposes. The driver on the left is the "old" Audiosource driver that I pulled out. On the right is the 15" Dayton DVC that is installed in the subwoofer I am selling.

Rear view:

Front View:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks