FS - David Bowie Sound+Vision I, II, III CD's - 1990

Discussion in 'Media Classifieds' started by DeanR, Jul 31, 2004.

1. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    These discs are from the 1990 Sound+Vision Box Set and are in excellent condition:

Sound+Vision I
    Sound+Vision II
    Sound+Vision III

The price for all 3 discs is $18, including media mail shipping with delivery confirmation. This offer is open to US bidders only. I prefer to sell the 3 discs together. I will accept a personal check or money order.

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Are these standard audio compact discs only, or do they have some sort of video content [e.g. CDV-single format]? I had thought there was a Bowie CDV title, and this item called "Sound+Vision" sounds likely. Or was there something elsse in the box set originally, e.g. LD or a VHS tape? Or did he call it that for some other reason?

3. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    Yes, these are the Standard compact discs that came from the box set. There is a additional Bowie CDV title that was included in the original box set, Sound+Vision Plus, which is not part of my offer. You need a LaserDisc player to play the CDV content, which is the Ashes to Ashes Video. There are also 3 audio tracks on the disc. Just for the record, I rediculously threw out the original cardboard box that these CD's came in [​IMG] .

4. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Drat, I was hoping to add the CDV to my LD collection. Do you have catalogue information for that item? It does not show up in the LaserDisc Database and I would like to add it. Thanks much.

5. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    Chris, it is Rykodisc RCDV-1018. FYI, I would check ebay because as of yesterday someone was selling the cdv for I believe $2.99 plus $3.50 shipping.

6. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Thanks much, snagged it; the seller's [a Canadian] description was none too clear, I wouldn't have found it without your help. LDDB coverage is worst on CDV; if you can give me as much description as possible about the set I'll enter the whole thing at once, when I get the videodisc.

And yes, I have a strange hobby. [​IMG]

7. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    As mentioned above the CDV content is the Ashes to Ashes Video. The 3 Audio tracks are John I'm Dancing, Changes, and The Superman. Please ask specific questions if you would like more info. The CD's are still for sale if anybody is interested.

8. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Sorry, I guess I wasn't too clear. :b
    What I want to be able to do is provide a clear description of the whole set to enter in the database. I would particularly like to know in what country it was released, what the street date was [if you know], what the catalogue numbers [and UPCs and ISBNs, if applicable] of the 3 audio CDs are, how they were packaged [individual jewel cases? paper sleeves? or something in between?], if the box had a separate catalogue number, UPC, and/or ISBN [if you recall], whether these discs were also available separately, and whether there was a booklet with them. If you click the LDDB link I posted, you can get some idea of what is in the listings there. Many thanks.

9. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    I already own the set (including the CDV, which is great and was what prompted me to buy my first LD player in 1991), and I'd just like to say that it's a fantastic overview of Bowie's career up to the early 1980s. Also, in my opinion the RykoDisc issues of Bowie's albums, including this set, sound significantly better than the "remastered" EMI issues that have come out more recently.

If you're a casual Bowie fan looking to go deeper or just looking to get a handle on Bowie in the first place, there is no better place to start than this set.

10. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    Released in the US, packed in standard cd cases, and these discs were only available in the box set. Since I stupidly threw out the cardboard box these discs came in I do not have the UPC number. I agree with everything Aaron said except I have not heard the new EMI issues so I can't comment on the quality personally. I believe a booklet came with the set, I will look and confirm if I find one.

11. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds
    There were also two issues, I think -- originally it came in a record-sized box, but I saw a later release in a slipcover. I've also seen a variation on the third disc that had CD-ROM content instead of CDV.

If you guys have trouble finding things like the UPC number and want it, PM me and I'll check my copy (I have the big record sized box one).

12. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Oh criminy, now I'm worrying that's what I've actually bought... which would be $10 down the drain completely. I don't care what Negroponte says about the transformative nature of digital technology, I'll take LaserVision over some cruddy DVI any day. I only wish there were a computer programme for burning CD-Vs... technically feasible I think, but I'd hate to have to write the code... :p)

13. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds
    I'm sure the CDV has a different cat number from the CD-ROM. The catalogue number listed above has "CDV" in it.

BTW, without this thread I would never have found LDDB. That's an awesome site, and I have at least a few HK LDs that I don't see listed there, so I'm already contributing.

14. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    I know this thread has turned into an interesting sharing of information between Chris,Aaron and I [​IMG] I just to remind everybody else my 3 discs are still available for purchase.

15. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Aaron: Great! In fact I just found your "User Profile" by looking at the display for "Pirates of Penzance" under "Recently updated". Sort of a weird experience... "PCM junkie", eh? Less expensive than a crack habit, I guess. [​IMG]
    Dean: I sure hope you do get a buyer. At least all this activity is keeping the thread at the top of the page where people can see it! [​IMG] I have had some LDs for sale for months and only sold one so far. Not a great market [​IMG] .

16. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

I have to say that, if the audio part of the CDV [which is what I did get, much to my relief] is any reflection of the quality of the rest of the set, these discs are a no-brainer for Bowie fans. The previously unreleased live version of "Changes" is especially good. I might buy them myself, if I bought audio records. [​IMG]