What's new

FS: AVToolbox AVT-3700 Image MAX scaler (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
SOLD.

SOLD.

For Sale: AV Toolbox AVT-3700 “Image MAX” video scaler

This box coverts interlaced 480i video in composite, S-video, or YPrPb format (e.g. from a DVD player) to various upscaled rates in either YPrPb or VGA output format. Unit is ideal for connecting a DVD player and LaserDisc player to HDTV monitor or a CRT video projector. Has three input connections: composite, S-Video, and component, selectable via a remote control (included). Has a VGA connector for output, which can be configured as either VGA or YPrPb component. Will output VGA, SVGA, XGA, or SXGA rates when used in VGA (RGB) mode: will output 480p, 720p, or 1080i when used in YPrPb mode. I’ve been using it to drive my CRT projector (recently sold) in RGB mode for the last several years.

I have installed the updated firmware chip, so unit’s firmware should be current.

Unit is similar to the currently-produced AVT-3800, see www.avtoolbox.com . (The AVT-3800 adds a VGA loop-through capability.)

Includes DC power supply, remote control, and original data booklet. Sorry I’m not including the cables because I’m not really sure which cables in my pile of cables came with the unit.

Asking $150 plus shipping. Original price was $395.

Please contact me via email at [email protected] rather than forum PM.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
This unit is still for sale. This would be most helpful for those recently purchasing a CRT projector or trying to get the most out of an early HD-ready television.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Question: does it decode Closed Captions? I'm looking for something I can use to display video on my monitor which doesn't require turning the computer on, but most of them seem not to decode CC which is a "must" for me.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Chris, no it doesn't decode CC. I've never even heard of a scaler that does that. Isn't CC modulated into the RF carrier anyway?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Closed Captions are inserted in the Vertical Blanking Interval, as a binary code of white and black spaces on Line 21. If you have a video monitor with the controls misadjusted, you can actually see it at the top of the screen. Some scalers do include a caption decoder -- it has been mandatory for TVs for quite a while, of course, but somehow manufacturers of scalers and so forth have avoided it. Heck, even the ATi TV viewer software incorporates a caption decoder [Microstoft's DirectX contains a feature for reading VBI information], although it won't turn on when the video input is set to Japanese standard 0 IRE. I notice the ViewSonic models N5, N6, and HD12 have Closed Caption capability. Maybe they're the only ones!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks