FS: Adire Audio Rava, red oak finish, perfect condition

Discussion in 'Hardware Classifieds' started by DarrenAlan, Sep 16, 2003.

1. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

PLEASE NOTE: THIS AD IS FOR A BRAND-NEW (UNPACKED ON 9/11) ADIRE AUDIO RAVA SUBWOOFER IN ABSOLUTELY MINT CONDITION. THE OFFER IS BEING MADE ONLY TO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS WILLING TO PICK UP OR DRIVE WITHIN 50 MILES OF MY HOUSE. THANKS FOR LOOKING.

So here’s the deal. After much research, soul-searching and reflection, I decided to purchase an Adire Audio Rava subwoofer in the red oak finish. When it arrived on September 11, I couldn’t have been more pleased with the build, looks or overall quality of the subwoofer. And once broken in and dialed in, I couldn’t be happier with the deep bass and output the Rava delivered. This thing is a beast! I don’t even have the volume knob turned up past a third and it will rattle my windows and shake the pictures on my walls on movies with high LFE content. And it blends beautifully with my KEF mains for music, adding just the right amount of depth and solidity to, for example, acoustic bass for jazz, organ and timpani for orchestral works, and electronic bass for rock.

But there was a problem. My wife, as is typical with most women, detests the sight of home theater equipment in our family room. “Too Eighties,” was her exact quote after I’d unpacked the Rava. “You’re filling up our whole family room with these huge boxes.”

My other subwoofer finalist, the Dayton Titanic 10” kit, is smaller (14” cubed versus 18” cubed) and, given that all my other equipment is black, less obtrusive in its black finish versus the beautiful, near-furniture-grade oak veneer cabinet of the Rava. Even though I might lose a couple of Hz on the low end and get a little less output with the Dayton, it’s a tradeoff I’m willing to make to keep my wife happy.

So here’s what I’m proposing to do. I will either sell the Rava for $375 outright to a Southern California buyer willing to pick up in San Diego or meet me halfway within 50 miles of my home ...

– OR –

... I will trade the Rava ($428 total cost including shipping) straight up for a brand-new, *fully assembled* Dayton Titanic kit with all receipts, manual and warranty information. Please note, I am NOT willing to pack and ship the Rava, as it is quite large and solidly built, so this offer is being made only to Southern California residents only.

This is one terrific sub and, for what I’m asking in return, one hell of a deal. For more information, visit these links:

http://www.adireaudio.com/home_audio...eries/rava.htm

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-6-2002.html

Please send inquiries to [email protected]. Thanks again for looking.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I only wish I didn't live on the "other" coast. Great sub ... great price. [​IMG]

3. DarrenAlan

Yeah, I will hate to see it go (no matter how good the Dayton unit is) but so far no takers on the Left Coast.

"Sorry, honey, I posted two for-sale ads with no results. I guess we're just stuck with it!" [​IMG]

You know how these things are -- you put something new in your home, say, a painting. You look at it 10x a day for the first week, 3x a day for the second week, 1x a day for the third week, and after the fourth week it's essentially invisible. "Painting? What painting?" I'm hoping that's what happens with the Rava.

4. Debbie_L

Debbie_L Stunt Coordinator

Hi Darren,

Like your wife, I am not a fan of subs in plain view either. Here's what I did with mine: I went to a fabric store and found some really cool fabric that matches the colors/design of my room. My sis has a sewing machine and offered to hem it for me to give it a finished look (but iron-on hem tape would work well too). Anyway......the sub now functions as a magazine/book stand of sorts next to my reading chair. When I want to watch a movie it only takes a few seconds to pull the "table cloth" off and it's ready to go.

Maybe if your wife goes for this suggestion you could keep the RAVA? I hear it's a killer sub, would be a shame to sell it if a compromise would do.

Good luck,

Debbie

5. DarrenAlan

That's a great suggestion!

Actually, the red oak finish matches our parquet wood floor quite well, and I can already tell that the sub is slowly but surely "disappearing" into the room.

You know how it is -- you bring home a new home decoration, say, a painting. First week, you look at it 10 times a day. Second week, maybe 3 times a day. Third week, maybe once a day and by the fourth week it's disappeared into your home. "Painting? What painting?" [​IMG]

I'm hoping the same happens with the Rava over time. If so, I plan to have a glass top with rounded edges made so that we can put something decorative on top to make it look more like a table as you've recommended. Thanks!

6. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar Stunt Coordinator

Jeff
    Hey Darren,

Would it help if we here online said that it would be a crime if someone bought your sub?

"You know, that Rava sub is not worth the money spent on it. If you buy it, it would be waste of your money and time."

Would that help?

Jeff

7. Debbie_L

Debbie_L Stunt Coordinator

Hey Darren,

A round glass top for your RAVA is a killer idea! But....before you go the custom route, might I suggest you check prices on pre-made tabletops as well? I've seen them at my local Pier One Imports stores and would guess the ones in your area sell them as well. Any of the big home improvement centers and some of the "big box" stores like Target may stock them also. I have worked in the glass business for many years, and generally speaking, ready-made, standard size table tops are cheaper than custom.

Sounds like you're keeping the RAVA -- I hope you do -- it's my dream sub for my 2-channel, music-only system as I hear it's got the tightest, most accurate bass available at or near it's price point.

Debbie

8. DarrenAlan

To Jeff, um, sorry, don't understand exactly what you're getting at.

To Debbie, thanks. My local glass place is VERY good and quite inexpensive. I want an exact fit which I think would be hard to find off the shelf. Also, I want the outside edge of the glass beveled in a half-round so that the round "end caps" of the subwoofer cabinet blend very nicely with the glass. I think this will look good and be very functional.

The Rava is absolutely wonderful for music. Stand-up bass (and I've been to many jazz clubs, including one performance where I literally could reach out and grab Roy Hargrove's pant leg if I'd wanted to) is spot-on, organ notes are deep and full, and electric bass is great too. It really is the category leader at its price point, no question.

9. DarrenAlan

Bump bumpity bump bump ... last one.