FS: Adcom GFA 5500

Discussion in 'Hardware Classifieds' started by Jason JS, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Jason JS

Jason JS Agent

This amp was used to drive my Klipsch Forte II speakers. The amp has been in storage, since I upgraded to a 5 channel amp.

I just need the $$$ for the PB-2

Here is what Adcom says about it:

GFA-5500

The MOSFET outputs are acknowledged worldwide for their ability to amplify harmonics, musical texture, and extended bass with unequaled accuracy. The circuit design with a larger and quieter toroid power transformer and oversized power supply capacitors, deliver the large amounts of current demanded by low impedance speaker loads.

The pure simplicity of the design helps to keep the damping factor high to maximize speaker control and ensure clear and uncolored sound at all frequencies.

Using single ended Class "A" circuitry in the front end, these amplifiers deliver the warmth and smoothness other amplifiers can only envy. The highest quality circuit boards are another testament to ADCOM's commitment to combining the finest level of components to create outstanding performance.

These amplifiers deliver more power and more current to drive virtually any resistive/capacitive load up to its rated output, giving you amplifiers that are designed to excel under conditions imposed by even the most demanding speakers.

And the most demanding audience. You.

Number of channels 2
    Watts per channel into 8 ohms 200
    Watts per channel into 4 ohms 350
    Maximum 7 x 17 x 13æ
    7º x 17 x 14æ
    Weight (lbs) 50

It cost me a $1000 new, I still have the box.

Well sell for $425 shipped in lower 48

email me at [email protected]

2. Chris Popovich

Chris Popovich Stunt Coordinator

Is the amp 2ohm stable? If so, what sort of power output does it have into that load? Also, is it bridgeable?

Thanks,
    Chris

3. Jason JS

Jason JS Agent

I had to email Adcom and see if it is 2 ohm stable.

I do not think that it is bridgeable

4. Jason JS

Jason JS Agent

I just found this out:

High Current Output
    Each channel uses 10 Power Mosfet output devices. These devices are each
    rated to handle 20 amps of output current. This output capacity is adequate to deliver
    full power into 2 ohm loads, and the amplifier is completely stable driving 1 ohm or less.

Low Impedance Performance
    The amplifier does not produce significantly higher distortion readings into low
    impedance loads, unlike other amplifiers on the market. Watt for watt, the distortion
    into 2 ohms is only slightly higher than that into 8 ohms.

5. Jason JS

Jason JS Agent

Price drop !!!!
    I lowered the price $100

Was $525 now only $425

6. Michael Klein

I have this same amp--it's a great piece of equipment. I just wanted to clarify by saying that it is definitely not bridgeable. However, a single channel putting 350w into my SVS (4 ohm) has been plenty for me.