What's new

FS: Acurus a200x5 (1 Viewer)

Dan Marchewka

Stunt Coordinator
This amp is in like-new condition. I will ship it in it's original double box. I am asking $925 shipped via UPS insured. Money order or cashier's check preferred, paypal accepted. My email address is: [email protected] You can also look at my ebay feedback rating--marchewd.

Below are the Details:
Five-Channel Power Amp This exceptional amplifier is truly the addition your audio system needs. Fully hand crafted in America, this component uses only high quality parts. In fact, this amp uses the same type of components that medical and military equipment specify.

Specifications: Five Channels 200 Watts into 8 ohms & 350 Watts into 4 ohms 20Hz to 20kHz Frequency Response ab Power Class 110 db SN Ratio 0.06 Percent THD Input Sensitivity - 1.1 volts for full output Input Impedance - 20K ohms 47 lbs 17" x 14" x 6 3/4" Engineered for Both Music & Movies Acurus amplifiers are engineered with the understanding that they will need to be exceptional with two-channel music reproduction as well as with home theater. Acurus amplifiers are therefore a solid choice whether you're going to be listening to audio, watching movies in your home theater or doing both! Flexibility is a good thing; in fact in the audio world it's a great thing. So, having an amp that performs well any way you use it is the way to go. This five-channel amp has separate two channel and three channel sections. The stereo section even has additional heat sink cooling to provide over 150 watts per channel of continuous power for the two main front speakers. Symmetrical Channel Configuration Acurus has evolved their theories of audio excellence into high-end amplifiers of exceptional smoothness. This smoothness was not achieved at the expense of detail however. The ability to retrieve detail found within the original source has actually been improved. Acurus' new symmetrical channel configuration reduces harshness and inter-channel anomalies allowing for the increased smoothness and detail. Real Glass Epoxy Circuit Boards Unlike many other amplifiers in the Acurus price range, all Acurus amplifiers employ glass epoxy circuit boards. Is glass epoxy really superior to the paper circuit boards found in many other manufacturer's product? Absolutely; that's why all medical and military equipment specifies glass epoxy.

Thanks,
Dan

Steve Marsh

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a little confused re O/P of this amp.
Is is 200WX5 or somthing else.
The stereo section even has additional heat sink cooling to provide over 150 watts per channel of continuous power for the two main front speakers.
So I am not familiar with this amp but I am hoping it is not 200 Watt total.
Please let me know
Thanks
Steve

Dan Marchewka

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,
It is a 5-channel amp that is actually put together as a 2 channel and a 3 channel amp in the same chasis. It has 1000 watts of total power into 8 ohms and 1750 watts into 4 ohms. When you are just using the two channel section, like for listening to music, it provides more power to the 2 channel section.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask away.

Thanks,
Dan

Steve Marsh

Stunt Coordinator
Ok I understand that it is actually a 2 plus 3 ch amp but my question is re this statement.
The stereo section even has additional heat sink cooling to provide over 150 watts per channel of continuous power for the two main front speakers.
If it supplies more power to the fronts then shouldn't it be over 200W to the fronts rather than over 150.
Could you supply a link to more info?

Dan Marchewka

Stunt Coordinator
Evan,
It does not have balanced inputs.

Steve,
It is saying 150 continuous watts, which is different from the spec's for output. Even though it does 200 watts per channel, that is not contiuous power. No amp outputs continuous power as it's spec. output. I think on any given amp, half of it's stated output is in continuous power ratings. The way the power works, it the amp only uses enough power necessary per channel. When in 5 channel mode, it limits the amount of continuous power in order to provide whichever channel needs the most power at that given time. When you run it in 2 channel mode, it allocates more continuous power to those two channels. I do not have a link, but the Acurus line was produced by Klipsh. You might check their website to look for specs.

Hope that helps,
Dan

Jerry_Wh

Grip
FWIW, the Acurus line was purchased by Klipsch as part of their buyout of Aragon - Acurus was the low-end series from Aragon and was a good solid product line sharing a lot of design in common with the much more expensive Aragon amps. For some reason the A200x5 is not listed on the "Classic Acurus" section of the klipsch website, but the A200x2 and A200x3 are. There are also a bunch of consumer reviews at:

http://www.audioreview.com/Amplifiers/Acurus,A200x5/PRD_125343_1583crx.aspx

I own amps across the entire range from Aragon - Palladium monoblocks, Aragon 8008x3b and Acurus A200x3 and can say that the Acurus amps are good performers. But, I am no audiophile, just a guy who got some good deals when these amps were being closed out. I have heard people who consider themselves audiophiles refer to the A200 line as "baby krell's" - take that however you want.

Dan Marchewka

Stunt Coordinator
Jerry,
Thanks for the info. I know Mondial developed both the Aragon and Acurus lines and then Klipsch bought out Mondial and discontinued the Acurus line. It is a fine amp, especially for the price. Less than a $1 a watt is hard to beat for a solid, well designed amp.

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
Acurus also had a bad habit of misstating specs on their website (always on the low side). I have a feeling that the 200 is continuous and that the 150 is just completely erroneous.

I read alot on the Acurus forum before it got wiped by Klipsch. The Acurus amps are really rated conservatively.

What was posted by the Mondial reps echoes what was said here. The 5-channel amps were built as 2-channel and 3-channel amps in one box. The power supply was designed to handle the stated rating of the the 5-channel for all channels driven. If only the mains were being used, the limitation then became the amplifiers boards and heatsinks themselves, which were built to handle more than the 5-channel rating. In the case of the A125x5, for instance, Mondial reps stated that the mains channels would actually do 200w/ch in stereo mode only (8ohms).

RG

Dan Marchewka

Stunt Coordinator
It is a great amp. The only reason I am selling it is because I got a great deal I could not pass up on a $4000 JBL Synthesis amp. If I would not have gotten such a sweet deal, the Acurus would have stayed with me for years. I have a Citation 7.1 which was also designed by Mondial and it is a great amp as well.

Thanks,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks