1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

"Fry's Electronics" - what's going on with this store?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by The Drifter, Dec 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Technically, if you answer your reason for return as "didn't like the item" or some such thing, they will charge for return shipping. My returns have been for defective or damaged items, except in one instance. I purchased a necklace for my wife, and what showed up looked really ugly -- the pendant was much bigger than it appeared in the picture. I returned that with a reason of something like "not what I expected" and was not required to pay return shipping.

Amazon now has a no questions asked policy for returning clothes, so you can return something at their cost if you do not like what you receive.

2. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

Tony Bensley and John Sparks like this.
  3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  4. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt Supporting Actor

5. John Dirk

John Dirk Producer
    Supporter

JOHN
    I grew up in the Bay Area which was also the birthplace of Fry's Electronics. I was recently there [to watch the Superbowl with family] and ran into a guy in Home Depot looking for some RJ45 connectors. He was talking to a Home Depot employee at the time. When I heard the employee tell him they didn't have any [in my area they do, but...] I chimed in and told him to try Fry's. His reply was "are they still around" even though there was a Fry's literally next door and clearly visible from the parking lot.

Personally, I loved Fry's back in the day, [Remember Computer Shopper?] but their return policies were always scary. You could return things but they put you through a process for the privilege.

At this point I don't mind seeing them go, because their time has passed, but I will miss them. Best Buy is likely the next victim.

6. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Rocket Science Department
    Supporter

Clint
    We never had Fry’s here but I used to spend a ton of time browsing the aisles at Computer City (later known as Comp USA), Circuit City, and Best Buy.

DaveF likes this.
  7. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Thomas Newton
    Computer City was a Tandy-owned competitor to CompUSA before being bought by CompUSA. Where I lived, the two were a mile apart, and I don't believe that it was too long after the CompUSA acquisition that they closed that Computer City location.

8. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Rocket Science Department
    Supporter

Clint
    There were two Computer City locations that I remember - one in Little Rock and one in North Little Rock. I bought my first Windows 95 PC at the North Little Rock store. It was an HP Pavilion mini tower. Man, it seems like just yesterday. I don’t recall seeing any Comp USA stores until they took over Computer City and both locations put up new signage. The name change never bothered me because the store layout and inventory stayed the same.