Frustrating new hiss front front mains

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by norman_maclean, Jul 15, 2003.

1. norman_maclean

I have a setup with JBL Northridge speakers and Marantz 5200, this worked perfectly and I loved it and has been working for over a year.

When I moved into a new place there was a hum/hiss from all the speakers and after help here it was determined to be a grounding problem with the cable, so I got that fixed.

Recently there has been a his sometimes that I notice, seems to be worse sometimes than others. I have kind of ignored it as I haven't watched movies lately only cable and assumed it was the cable signal being bad. However last night it was TERRIBLE, so I disconnected the cable altogethre and threw in a DVD. Hiss was still there. Then I listened to each speaker only to find out it only comes from the mains. It isn't the speaker, if I swith the rear to be the main then I hear the hiss there. I had to disconnect my 2 mains and listen just through center and all other speakers, even on 6 channel music mode there is a hiss only from the front 2 mains....what could be going on..something go wrong with my reciever?

Thanks

2. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Maybe your speaker wires for your mains are crossing over some power cords or some other source of interference. Check it out and if they are try to isolate them .

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Any other changes in your home like having added some dimmers or maybe a new appliance even an audio component?

4. norman_maclean

No, nothing else new in the setup....

5. Matt_Doug

Matt_Doug Stunt Coordinator

lowering your receiver reference level might make the hiss go away. It shouldn't be but a few decibels assuming that there are no ground loops or other gain stages between your speakers and your receiver (amps, crossovers, equalizers) It maybe you set the gain/level controls on your receiver for the fronts too high to compensate for a larger or more sound absorptive room in your new house.