What's new

Frustrated with finnicky DVD player (1 Viewer)

Bernie_A

Stunt Coordinator
Until I upgrade it, my Sony DV_725 is really frustrating with freezing on DVD's that are not perfect. We just started Netflicks so the DVD's that we are recieving have obviously seen some use and have a few scratches. Are there DVD players out there have a reputation of being finnicky or more forgiving of minor scratches? I plan on upgrading in the next couple of months so along with DCDi, SACD, DVD-A and 1080i output, this is now on my wish-list as well.

TIA

Bernie_A

Stunt Coordinator
I guess what I would also like to know is other than better de-interlacers, the ability to play SACD or DVD-Audio, or have better DAC's, etc, etc....do the more expensive higher-end DVD players have better lazer reading technology to overcome slight flaws in the disk? Is this even a reality or are all the optics in every DVD player the same?

Bernie_A

Stunt Coordinator
Don, I'll give that a go. Thanks for the tip. I was watching Carlito's Way and it must have froze 5 times and of coarse, during the really good parts AND WE CANNOT GET THE LAST SCENE TO PLAY SO WE DON'T KNOW HOW IT ENDS!!!

Jason Hamilton

Auditioning
Hey, Bernie, I'm having an issue similar to this on my Sony DVD player (DVP-S550D). I noticed this with not only rented/slightly used DVDs as well as a brand-spanking new DVD and have come up with the theory that the age of my player is incompatible with some of the newer DVD encryption schemes.

Example:
DVD: View From the Top
Rental copy froze up halfway through chapter 4 and would not continue. This was repeatable.
Brand new copy froze up halfway through chapter 2 and would not continue, and this was also repeatable.

Both copies played without error or lockup in my PS2.

Interesting, eh?

I, too, am looking to upgrade this year, likely to a Universal player to maximize multi-channel music options...

TomCW

Second Unit
Oops, I thought this thread was about fixing a problem... now I see it's about justifying the purchase of a new player. My bad, rock on.

Tom

Bernie_A

Stunt Coordinator
That's interesting Tom, but the darn Sony is only 4 months old. I took the same DVD I was having problems with and played it on my daughts ghetto cheapo non-pregressive DVD player and it worked perfectly. Maybe the output through progressive scan is having an impact?

I am waiting until either the Samsung 941 or the Zenith hits the street. Both are multi players that have 1080 output through component as well as DVI with DCDi, etc. I'm leaning towards the 941 but who knows yet. To early to decide.

Bernie_A

Stunt Coordinator
That's interesting Tom, but the darn Sony is only 4 months old. I took the same DVD I was having problems with and played it on my daughts ghetto cheapo non-pregressive DVD player and it worked perfectly. Maybe the output through progressive scan is having an impact?

I am waiting until either the Samsung 941 or the Zenith hits the street. Both are multi players that have 1080 output through component as well as DVI with DCDi, etc. I'm leaning towards the 941 but who knows yet. To early to decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks