Frustrated trying to get High Speed Internet

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brandon_T, May 12, 2003.

1. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

After a rough two years, I have a real good job, and my wife gave the OK to get a cable modem when I got my first check!!

So last Monday came and I called Comcast to order the cable modem. They are running a special, $21.95 for 4 months then regular price after that. He then asked if I was a current cable subsriber and I said " No, I don't really watch that much TV, mostly movies" He then replied by telling me that the offer is good only to current subscribers, and that I would have to pay the regular non subscrier rate. I said fine and aske just what that rate would happen to be and he replied " $57.95 a month plus modem rental". Are you kidding me? This is rediculous. I don't have any other options like DSL, even though I live right across from the freakin switch.

This is pure extortion. I was so looking forward to cable modem, but I sure don't want stupid comcast cable in my home. Satellite Internet is just as expensive. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks for letting me vent.

Brandon

2. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Have you looked at www.dslreports.com ? they have a couple of tools to check what is/isn't available in your area, as well as forums to get the most out of your provider.

I would go against satellite unless it was needed for business. The latency is so bad that pretty much the only thing it beats a modem for is sending large files...too slow for effective web surfing. Plus the pricing for sat approaches extortion.

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Look for a wireless ISP in your area. They're still pretty rare, but they're beginning to pop up more and more. They put a wireless ethernet card in your computer along with a big antenna, and pick up a signal from a central hub located within a mile or two of your house. I'm hoping one of these will come into my neighborhood soon as I can't get DSL or cable modem service yet. There are two or three companies at least doing this in Dallas now.