What's new

Frustrated...RV-31 or Tosh 3750 (1 Viewer)

Matthew S

Auditioning
I recently posted that I got a Panny RV31 player based on the posts I read on HTF. I really like the player but my significant other just cannot get used to the letterbox on my 27" TV. I noticed that the Toshibas have zooms and that may be a compromise without having to totally chop the picture to a 4:3. The model that I am leaning toward is the 3750, or the 2710. I dont need progressive scan now but the 3750 has the features. From what I have read most of you like the Panny over the Toshibas. I want to keep the price below $200. The Sonys are overpriced.
Looking for a compromise for the wife...HELP!
:confused:
Thanks!!
Matthew

PaulKH

Second Unit
I have the 4700 - basically a 3750 plus DVD-audio and built in DD decoder. The zoom capability is terrific. No free lunch though, if you zoom in material that has big black bars on your 27" TV (2.35:1 movies), you're losing material off the left and right sides of course. Since the zoom has several levels though you might zoom a bit and keep some black bars.
However, you really should use your wife's disatisfaction to your advantage and say 'Honey, you're exactly right, that's why I've just purchased this lovely 50" widescreen TV' :D

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I too have been briefly looking at these players. Does the 4700 or the 3750 have the chroma bug? If so how bad is it?

Chris S.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I've just purchased a 4700 Tosh to replace an older model and I really just do not see this chroma bug that some seem to see. Even though I am still using interlaced on an older 55" tv, the 4700 gives a better picture and I see no problems at all. And a surprise was that the audio seemed crisper with more imaging too. Those who have reported the chroma bug says it is a slight flicker in the red patches of Toy Story 2, I think. This was not enough to deter me from getting the 4700 and I do feel these reported sightings are kinda overblown. No disrespect to those who see it, it's just my observation on how much importance I attach to it.

The 4700 remote is pretty good and setup was a breeze.

PaulKH

Second Unit
Donny - chroma bug is not flicker, that's a different problem that the RP56 has (very infrequently). The chroma bug looks like the red scan lines are spreading apart, fatter and blurry.

The new 3750/4700/5700 models do still have the chroma bug, but MUCH less significantly than in older models (like my older 2109).

Everett A

Agent
I've got an older SD 1200, and I've looked right up to the screen of my Toshiba 50HX81 with the scene paused on red content scenes of Toy Story 2 (including opening logo etc.) and as much as I try, I cannot see ANY scan lines (trust me I would love an excuse to upgrade to a new player which would be progressive scan).

Could it be that different players along the years from Toshiba do not have this problem, or maybe my tv is set up to not expose this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks