Frustrated and how do anthem and rotel amplifiers compare?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terry U, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Terry U

Terry U Auditioning

I currently own a ref 20 plus processor and an 5000i amplifier from B&K. I realize the amplifier isn't the perfect amp but I could live with it if it actually worked. I sent it into B&K and the fixed the two channels that were out. Well actually they did not do that. Only one channel was fixed for right out of the box a channel was out. We will now be without home theater again. I am unimpressed with the reliability of this unit. I have had many amplifiers in my life but none that were as unreliable as this. What is the reliability of the above pieces and the sonic comparisons. I am thinking of buying a new amplifier and then eventually a processor. I have heard the rotel duo sound excellent with B&K 805's and NHT 1.4"s. We have paradigm reference speakers in our theater. Is one really a better match for them than the other?

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Rotel has a slightly warmer top end compared to the Anthem. I would suggest you go with the Rotel for B&Ws and NHTs. It would be a fairly warm to neutral combo. The Anthem would certainly bring out the brightness (not necessarily a bad thing) in them. In case you like forward sound you would be better off with the Anthem. Reliability wise I think both are very good. The Rotel, although made in China, has a good reliability reputation

3. wayne p

wayne p Stunt Coordinator

I have operated my Anthem MCA 5 daily for the past two years and have had no problems of any description. I have it matched with Studio 100 v2's and CC in the front. My pre/pro is the Anthem AVM 20. I am very pleased with the sound, which I would describe as accurate. This equipment is very well constructed, made in Canada.

I cannot comment on the current Rotel amps as I have never owned one. I do have a Rotel receiver, RX-403, which I purchased when in high school about 28 years ago. It still functions and is being used from time to time as a radio in a spare room. The rheostats are noisy but it has never needed repairs. It is also very well built, made in the USA.

I have a personal bias against electronics made in China or Korea (not Japan) as I feel corners are cut on components to meet a price point.

4. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Hi Terry. Regarding if an amp will sound good with your speakers (former owner of Paradigm Ref 100 v2's), I couldn't honestly tell you if one piece of gear is warmer or colder because I'm not in your room, don't have the same combination of components and don't have your ears.

5. John_W_Jr

John_W_Jr Stunt Coordinator

I have the Rotel RSP 1066/RMB 1075 combo, and I've been very happy with this duo driving Paradigm studio speakers.
    Having researched quite alot on Rotel gear before purchasing, I learned that parts selection for all of the Rotel products is pretty top grade with some of the parts custom made in house. I belive where Rotel meets their price point is having their products assembled in China where labor is cheaper.