What's new

Frustrated and how do anthem and rotel amplifiers compare? (1 Viewer)

Terry U

Auditioning
I currently own a ref 20 plus processor and an 5000i amplifier from B&K. I realize the amplifier isn't the perfect amp but I could live with it if it actually worked. I sent it into B&K and the fixed the two channels that were out. Well actually they did not do that. Only one channel was fixed for right out of the box a channel was out. We will now be without home theater again. I am unimpressed with the reliability of this unit. I have had many amplifiers in my life but none that were as unreliable as this. What is the reliability of the above pieces and the sonic comparisons. I am thinking of buying a new amplifier and then eventually a processor. I have heard the rotel duo sound excellent with B&K 805's and NHT 1.4"s. We have paradigm reference speakers in our theater. Is one really a better match for them than the other?

Yogi

Screenwriter
Rotel has a slightly warmer top end compared to the Anthem. I would suggest you go with the Rotel for B&Ws and NHTs. It would be a fairly warm to neutral combo. The Anthem would certainly bring out the brightness (not necessarily a bad thing) in them. In case you like forward sound you would be better off with the Anthem. Reliability wise I think both are very good. The Rotel, although made in China, has a good reliability reputation

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
I have operated my Anthem MCA 5 daily for the past two years and have had no problems of any description. I have it matched with Studio 100 v2's and CC in the front. My pre/pro is the Anthem AVM 20. I am very pleased with the sound, which I would describe as accurate. This equipment is very well constructed, made in Canada.

I cannot comment on the current Rotel amps as I have never owned one. I do have a Rotel receiver, RX-403, which I purchased when in high school about 28 years ago. It still functions and is being used from time to time as a radio in a spare room. The rheostats are noisy but it has never needed repairs. It is also very well built, made in the USA.

I have a personal bias against electronics made in China or Korea (not Japan) as I feel corners are cut on components to meet a price point.

Martice

Screenwriter
Hi Terry. Regarding if an amp will sound good with your speakers (former owner of Paradigm Ref 100 v2's), I couldn't honestly tell you if one piece of gear is warmer or colder because I'm not in your room, don't have the same combination of components and don't have your ears.

What is the reliability of the above pieces and the sonic comparisons.
As far as reliability goes, I have a B&K REF4420 that has been on for the most part for the last four years with no problem what so ever. In addition, most amps will be solid regarding durability as long as you exceed a certain price point.

When shopping for an amp you really need to worry about your speakers characteristics more than anything. If your speakers are bright sounding then you may need to make sure that your room doesn't have a lot of bare walls for starters. If not the room, then try your source player or software while evaluating your gear? In regards to the sound of your amp, power, control and headroom are the main things I look for when auditioning an amp. If you look for an amp to warm up or cool off your overall sound then what does that say about your the rest of your system? If your amp is "warm sounding" then what does your CD player sound like? How about your preamp? Will it be neutral or 'cool' sounding? At what overall temperature will your system sound right? This is why you'll hear many people who disagree on the sound characteristics on a certain amp or receiver. Some say it's 'cold' and say it's 'warm'. Go figure huh?

What you do is take all of the suggestions offered to you and try your best to hear the ones that you're interested in and if possible, with your gear in your house. That's the only way to know if you like any piece of gear unless you're like me and take chances on occasion. Then again, you can take the advice of the many who will tell you what temperature their gear sounds like and hope that their forcast is just right and you dress appropriately.

John_W_Jr

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Rotel RSP 1066/RMB 1075 combo, and I've been very happy with this duo driving Paradigm studio speakers.
Having researched quite alot on Rotel gear before purchasing, I learned that parts selection for all of the Rotel products is pretty top grade with some of the parts custom made in house. I belive where Rotel meets their price point is having their products assembled in China where labor is cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks