What's new

Frustrated about MUSICALS (1 Viewer)

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Oh, I know, but THE BOY FRIEND still remains a refreshing change from the usual movie adaptations of stage-based musicals, especially after the lumbering behemoths of the late '60s. I think it's a miracle it wasn't turned into a more conventional movie version (however, notice to PBS: do a special new version, faithful to the original!). :D

Roger Wink

Auditioning
Here's another vote for Damn Yankees (and just about everything else mentioned here). Also would Love Bells are Ringing and (believe it or not) Mame. I no Lucy sucked, but I still consider it one of the two great American musicals (along with Gypsy).

SteveP

Second Unit
Lucy did have some legit moments later in the film when she was playing closer to her actual age--and did pull off an affecting "If He Walked Into My Life".

The film also has terrific production (as well as costume) design--and a killer title sequence montage.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Yeah, but MAME wouldn't look too sharp on DVD since most of Lucy's scenes were filmed through a vasaline filter to make her appear younger, though the rest of the film does have nice production values with beautiful cinematography.

"Bells Are Ringing" has looked pretty bad on video (most of the color is gone from the surviving prints). Wasn't the original negative destroyed in a fire at MGM during the 1990's? I would buy Bells in a second - Dean Martin, Judy Holiday and some great songs. I heard Warners was working on this title but it's gonna need a major restoration, and the B'way revival last year didn't stay around very long.

Also heard they were working on Damn Yankees (including a cut song) but it seems to have been pushed back.THe Rob Marshall revival of 1994 was filmed for Japanese Television (As was Victor/Victoria) this would be even better to releaseon DVD than the 1958 film.

And how about "Goodbye Mr. Chips" (The 70MM version) also now owned by Warners.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I also would buy GOODBYE MR CHIPS, DAMN YANKEES and and BELLS ARE RINGING...the laser of BELLS included the cut song IS IT A CRIME...it would be cool to have that on dvd.

I've heard this MGM fire mentioned a couple of times.
I had no idea. What happened exactly?

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
MGM was forced to move its nitrate materials off their lot by the Culver City authorities. After all the features, shorts, cartoons, and trailers were preserved on safety film (that happened during the '60s), MGM shipped its nitrate material to George Eastman House in Rochester, N.Y. for "safe-keeping".

Except...it wasn't so safe.

Sometime in the late '70s ('77? '78?) There was a huge fire at Eastman House and a great deal of MGM's master nitrate materials were destroyed by the fire. The orig negs on hundreds of films were lost in that fire. Fortunately, the studio preserved all these titles on safety film before this happened, but it's always best to have the nitrate to go back to. Also, it seems that the fire destroyed more B&W titles than Technicolor ones, as Turner has been able to go back to the original nitrate Tech elements over the last decade or so to do improved safety conversions. Certain Tech films did burn (like SINGIN' IN THE RAIN) but most survived.

Safety films, like BELLS ARE RINGING didn't burn. The Safety materials remained on the studio lot (or were sent to some kind of offsite storage facility I've heard about in the midwest someplace). Their negatives may have faded, but they didn't burn. The last look at BELLS ARE RINGING (on TCM I think)revealed a fairly magenta film, which means that Turner/Warner Brothers would need to make new film elements from their safety seps if the original negative has faded (which may be the case, as that has been a reported problem on many films of that particular vintage).

I'm all for seeing that film spruced up and returned its proper color. It's really quite entertaining, and a fortunate preservation of Judy Holliday's great role which she originated on Broadway.

Joseph Miller

Stunt Coordinator
I want LI'L ABNER, too, but I'll be disappointed if it's not a restored print.

When I saw it in the theater in its original release, it had the second most vivid color I've ever seen in a movie. The MOST vivid color was in the cartoon sequences of SONG OF THE SOUTH, another movie whose chance of appearing on DVD approaches zero.

I also want: SOUTH PACIFIC put back the way it was when it first opened, PORGY AND BESS, BELLS ARE RINGING, FLOWER DRUM SONG and the 1962 STATE FAIR.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Brentwood Home Video is releasing 4 musical films all on one DVD titled "Broadway's Best" on March 18th. The four films are: Royal Wedding, Perils of Pauline, Happy go Lucky and "The Pagama Game"

I know Royal Wedding is in public domain but doesn't Warner own the rights to "The Pajama Game"?

Joseph,

When Paramount released "Li'l Abner" on VHS (1991?) they struck a new print and screened it in New York. The print was beautiful and the colors popped off the screen. Don't believe this film needs a restoration, but the stable/solid color of DVD would eliminate all the color bleeeding on the Pan and Scan VHS copy.

On Laser "Bells are Ringing" had little color, same with "Silk Stockings" Warner is releasing "Silk Stockings" in April and if the color is restored then I would think they could do the same with "Bells are Ringing" They did a great job with "Singing in the Rain"

People are in the process of bringing "Porgy and Bess" to DVD, but the film is in really bad shape. The film was recently screened in L.A. to determine if the print could be used since the negative may be lost. The Gerhswin estated want the film destoryed and it looks like they may get their wish. I thought the print was in fair shape, but it will need a lot of digital repair - most likey the kind used on "North by Northwest". The film was filled with jumps edits and many frames were missing. The Soundtrack also lost bits and pieces.

"State Fair" may be released later this year, as Fox is working on an Alice Faye promotion.

I believe "Flower Drum Song" is tied up in a Legal battle which is why it hasn't been released. The same with Fox's "Call Me Madam" (Ethel Merman, Donald O'Conner, Vera Ellen, music by Irving Berlin) At one point I heard the film rights were offered but no one at Fox knew of this film or thought it would sell. Last I heard the rights have been withdrawn.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Really bad news about the Warner Bros release of "High Society". According to the R2Project website it is in MONO. Can you believe this!!

Extras include:

Cole Porter In Hollywood: True Love
Millionaire Droopy (1956 MGM short)
Gala Premiere for High Society
Radio Ads
Theatrical Trailer

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
Have faith Douglas!

Warner Bros.' new DVD of HIGH SOCIETY has a new 5.1 Doby Digital mix.

I'm sure it will sound spectacular!

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Just got "SWEET CHARITY" and I think it is a great CD
for $9.99, and the transfer and sound are impressive.
I am thrilled with it, now only if the CD were released
along with it, I still have the vinyl of it !!!!!
Also, got "CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC" and still love this
disco take after so, many years and reminds one about
how care free the late 70s and early 80s were !!!!!!
Some great Village People scenes and music !!!!!!
A CD of this would be nice as well, however, I still
have the vinyl too !!!!!!!

SteveP

Second Unit
HIGH SOCIETY was remastered on video with the original stereo music tracks some years ago and has played on TCM that way since.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
I follow this thread sporadically, so I apologize if this is old news . . .

Image has announced the release of Kiss Me Kate (1953) for May 13th. MSRP is $24.99. Anamorphic WS (1.78:1) with a 5.1 DTS track. Doesn't look like there are any extras, though.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
AlanP,

Finally! Someone else who appreciates the overblown glory of CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC! I'm not saying it's a great movie, cause it ain't! It sure is a heck of a lot of fun at parties, though.

I've got good news for you. The soundtrack to CSTM is out on cd or at least it was as late as last year. I have a copy myself. Now I can "Do the Milkshake" all night long, baby.

Addendum: I actually just discovered that the cd seems OOP. It's too bad. It sounds great.

SteveP

Second Unit
It is generally known that the Gershwin Estate has always had low regard for the film version of PORGY AND BESS. I think they prefer the recent opera company television version, which, in my opinion, is marred by the over-obvious effect of everyone singing to a studio pre-recording.

I think EVERY film shot in Todd-AO deserves to be preserved in its original 70MM format--and though even both Bess and Porgy are dubbed by opera singers in the film, Sammy Davis Jr. and Pearl Bailey do their own vocals to fine effect.

Don't know what problem the Irving Berlin Estate has with the film version of CALL ME MADAM, as this is the only instance where Ethel Merman got to re-create one of her great Broadway Musical roles on-screen--with Donald O'Connor, Vera-Ellen and George Saunders providing fine support as well.

Barrie Maxwell

Stunt Coordinator
Image's May DVD release is a filming of a recent Broadway revival of Kiss Me Kate, not the 1953 MGM film. The latter is being released on DVD by WB on April 22nd.

Barrie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks