What's new

Frustrated about MUSICALS (1 Viewer)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
IMO the flight scenes are the best scenes in "Darling Lili"

Years and years ago I worked at FOX and the Rodgers and Hamerstein titles were among their top sellers, I'm guessing it's the musical films that tanked at the box-office (but develpoed a cult following) that the studios are afraid won't sell in large numbers (Esp if they go VHS sales)

Would like to buy Li'l Abner and Half a Sixpence also.

Joe,
When Columbia issued Lost Horizon on DVD they mistakenly released the widescreen musical from 73' in some of the VHS packages. Does this mean the film has been mastered for a possible DVD, and if so will it join the list or musicals failures recently released (Can't Stop the Music, Xanadu etc)

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Yes, i also complimented Feltenstein's work, earlier in the thread.

I hope whoever is in charge over there has MEET ME IN ST LOUIS in their plans
does anyone know?...Not to mention EASTER PARADE and THE BANDWAGON.

(I love the SOUTH PARK musical, actually...
But, I would also like to have the others we've mentioned...)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Easter Parade might have to be another Lowry Digital Images restoration.

The 3-strip Technicolor negative was lost in a fire, so the separations are our original element now. (Note: I'm only saying it is lacking a negative, I'm not implying anything other than it could need a Ultra Resolution transfer)

Poor Vault 7...we miss you.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I don't believe the original negatives to EASTER PARADE are lost. According to the liner notes on the old (and fairly nice for its vintage) MGM laserdisc, that disc had been made from a transfer done from a new IP made from the orig. YCM negs. That was 1992. So I think this one escaped the fire (which was at George Eastman House, not MGM) that destroyed many MGM nitrate original source materials.

Word is that BAND WAGON, MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, EASTER PARADE and many others are all in the works....so hope is not lost.

And I agree, "SOUTH PARK: BIGGER, LONGER and UNCUT" was a brilliant musical! True genius!

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I's like the 1982 version of Sweeney Todd on DVD. There have been half a dozen others adaptations, but they're not musicals as far as I know. With the remake coming, perhaps there's a chance.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I NEED Meet Me in St. Louis on DVD...NEEEED!!!!!

Also, some nice new 16x9 remasters for Oklahoma, King and I, and South Pacific would be welcome.

In addition the icky DVD transfer (ie.-ringing and noisy grain) of Sound of Music needs to say goodbye by me saying hello to a new film-print-DVD-transfer (really now...is that red-line *supposed* to be there on the opening sequence???@#$&%*!)

Hello Dolly is supposedly on the way and rumor is that FOX is using a gorgeous new print that was exhibited recently for the transfer. Here's to hopin'!

dave :)

p.s. another vote to South Park as one of the more brilliant musical films in recent history...

PatrickL

Deceased Member
p.s. another vote to South Park as one of the more brilliant musical films in recent history...
Yeah it's hilarious, and Marc Shaiman (who collaborated on the music & lyrics for the South Park movie) wrote the score for the current B'way hit "Hairspray"

Joe Caps, it looks like our concerns about the Sweet Charity disc may have been premature - I don't have the disc in my hands yet, but I've seen a picture of the back cover which says it has 4.0 sound. :emoji_thumbsup:

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Wouldn't it be nice if Universal adds THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE (1983) to their musical lineup. ;)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Been waiting for "Pirates of Penzance"ever since I saw it letterboxed on BRAVO back in 1996/97 Beautiful cinematography.

Never knew the film's OAR was 2:35 till then, it looks like an entirely different film (Didn't like the Pan and Scan version) This would be a better title to put out. I would hope Universal will release it this year as they are releasing "Sweet Charity" and "Best little Whorehouse"

BRAVO also aired a letterbox version of "Oh What a Lovely War (From Paramount) I had never seen it before but really liked the film. Few people seem to know this title but it has an all-star British Cast and was a critical hit in 1969.
Now is a good time for anti-war films. Maybe from Paramount?

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
No...not yet.
and i was doubly disappointed when TCM showed it in January, in widescreen but NOT in stereo...grrrrr.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
"Is Flower Drum Song available on DVD yet???

Regrettably NO.

There are a number of us on this Forum that have been requesting it.
Hopefully Universal will consider it soon.

In regards to Hello Dolly.
DaVid quote:
"Rumour is that Fox is using a gorgeous new print"

I hope that you are right mate as I bought Fox's recently released region 4 version and the quality, regardless of it being Anamorphic, is very poor.
It suffers from a very soft image and washed out colors.
I would say that it was taken off a very inferior print.
What disturbs me is that I'm sure the DVD's origins were the USA.
Just pray that Fox don't use the same source for the region 1 release.

The Dolby Digital 4.0 sound on the Aussie DVD is ok though.

SteveP

Second Unit
The last DOLLY laser disc release was missing the tints on the opening freeze-frame shot of the 1890 New York street set and carried no Todd-AO credit--the color also did not seem accurate.

Here's hoping they master the DVD from the 65MM negative and retain the directional dialogue of the original 70MM prints.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
My wish list:

LIL ABNER (1959)
PIRATES OF PENZANCE (1983)
PENNIES FROM HEAVEN (1981)
THE BOY FRIEND (1971)
SCROOGE (1970)

From an earlier era:

Eddie Cantor musicals (WHOOPEE!, PALMY DAYS, KID
MILLIONS, etc.)
Alice Faye musicals (HELLO, FRISCO, HELLO etc.)
Betty Grable musicals (CONEY ISLAND, etc.)
Dawn of Sound musicals (SUNNY SIDE UP, FOLLOW THRU,
KING OF JAZZ etc.)
Eleanor Powell musicals (BORN TO DANCE, ROSALIE)
Betty Hutton musicals
Busby Berkeley musicals
Betty Boop cartoons
Vitaphone compilations
Judy Garland/Mickey Rooney musicals (BABES IN ARMS, BABES ON BROADWAY etc.)
Olsen & Johnson (HELLZAPOPPIN', GHOST CATCHERS)
Wheeler & Woolsey (DIPLOMANIACS, RIO RITA)
Astaire/Rogers (probably in the works from WB)

....it really adds up; this is hardly scratching the surface.

:D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I have the disc in hand and just got through sampling it by playing the "Hey, Big Spender" and "If My Friends Could See Me Now" numbers and the disc is 4.0 sound. Also, Universal has the Overture and intermission on the dvd. Not bad for purchasing this dvd for less than $9.00:)

Crawdaddy

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Regarding "Hello, Dolly"
Fox struck a new Todd-AO print recently and it was BEAUTIFUL, really beyond compare. The beauty of the image made the film even better and I would guess Fox will use this print (Screened at the Egyptian last October) for a DVD (someday before we're all dead and buried)

*The laserdisc wasn't from a Todd-AO print, which is why the color tints may be missing, as is the Todd-AO credit during the title train sequence.

Barry, I'd like to see the restored "The Boy Friend" too, one of Russell's best films. Alwayed waiting for "Li'l Abner"

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
The laser of THE BOY FRIEND wa a revelation--the full version, which I believe has also aired on TCM. It's a tremendously inventive musical adaptation, and I've admired it since seeing it in an empty theater in 1972. ;)

LIL ABNER absolutely begs for a splashy collectible DVD edition; I hope Paramount will someday seriously consider it. Did we really need PAINT YOUR WAGON first?

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Studios do not use release prints for their DVD transfers except as a last resort - they do not transfer well. However, the fact that they were able to produce a good quality theatrical print of HELLO DOLLY gives hope that they have excellent materials available to use for a DVD transfer as well.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Rob,
It was announced before the film started that the print made for the "Hello, Dolly" screening was in fact a test print (3 days old) So I'm guessing it was to test the negative elements for a future video release.

SteveP

Second Unit
Just to make note that Sandy Wilson (the original author) HATED what Ken Russell did with THE BOY FRIEND.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks