1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Frustrated about MUSICALS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Caps, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

We fans of musicals are frustrated. DVD companies are releaseing a ton of war films in the next few months, what seems like a Hundred westerns and handful of musicals and even those aren't arriving when they should.
    Thoroughly Moderm Millie gets announced yesterday, again, as a catalog title from Universal. All this time websites have been showing it, for months as a release the first week of March.
    sweet Charity specs are finally announcec, but instead of 4.0 sound- which it shoudl be- we get a 2.0 mixdown- Crap!
    Fans of Broadway musicals have been waiting forever for Parmount to release Lil Abner and Half a Sixpence. INstead we get a lot of psude musicals (flashdance, Sat Nite Fever etc) and ten - count em - ten- Elvis Presley ka kas.

2. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Well, Joe, hopefully the success of CHICAGO will prompt the studios to release their musicals to dvd. It's taken a while, but I think the studios are finally realising that the Musical is still a popular form of entertainment. Let's just hope they give them decent releases.

3. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

Yes, I hope CHICAGO prompts more to be released.
    I'm bewildered. These classics were staples of the VHS and LD catalogs. I have been constantly surprised at their neglected status in the dvd format. When some of the most famous titles are not released at all, or if, like the Fox Rodgers and Hammerstein titles...not anamorphic...I just have to wonder.

4. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I'm not surprised at all by the lack of musicals. Look back at all the threads about the lack of catalog titles being released & then look at all of the "Latest & Not So Greatest" DVD releases of films that lasted 2 weeks in the theatre. The studios IMHO consider the musical to be a small niche category that probably will bring in little $$$$!

5. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

If "chiCago" wins best Picture it may give a boast to the film musical.

MGM/UA had been big on musicals (esp on Laserdisc) due to musical VP fan George Feltenstein (back when they owned the MGM library of musicals). George left and MGM lost the MGM library to Warner Bros. leaving them with United Artists titles (most have been released except "Man of La Mancha" which is currently on Broadway again) and still hasn't seen the light and issued a proper "Chity Chitty Bang Bang" (this Super Panavision film is only available in non-Super Panandscanavision.)

Warner Bros has released many musicals on DVD with "Fame" "Finian's Rainbow" and many of the Astaire/Rodgers films on the way (I would like to see "Damn Yankees, while others tell me they want "the Bandwagon" "Yankee Doodle Dandy" and "Meet Me in St. Louis")

Fox is planning to release more musicals when "chiCago" is released on DVD. They held back all musicals when "All That Jazz" was mixed in the promotion and won't release them until they can tie "All That Jazz" in with "Chicago". I doubt very much we'll see "State Fair" with Ann-Margret or "Call Me Madam" & "Star!" Though I have heard something about the Alice Faye films coming out.

Paramount is the only real hold out. They haven't released many and have some good ones in their library but no plans.
    "L'il Abner", "Half a Sixpence", "Oh! What a Lovely War," "On a Clear Day" "Darling Lili", "Scrooge"
    I heard the old Pres of HV hated musicals, but now that he's gone and "chiCago" is popular maybe we'll have a change for the better.

What's really frustrating is that the studios say musicals don't sell well, but then release them overseas (where the film musical was never as popular) But they don't release them in the states (All That Jazz, The Best Little Whorehouse, Hello, Dolly, A Chorus Line were all available overseas only now are SOME of then coming to the US :Whorehouse, Chorus Line)

6. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

7. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    What if Chicago had been a flop? Then we'd never see some of these musicals remastered or released for the first time.

I hate it when releases of some movies are joined at the hip to the success or failure of others.

8. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

9. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

10. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

11. Jefferson

Yes, Mr. Feltenstein's CD, LD and DVD projects are first rate.

and yes, restoration takes time.
    But let's face it, the classics do not seem to be a priority in the DVD format.
    So far.
    [​IMG]

12. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

13. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

"ON A CLEAR DAY" with all of it put back to it's original
    form, that is what I want on DVD.
    And Ann-Margaret, Bobby Darrin, and Pat Boone in the
    remake of "STATE FAIR", gets lousy reviews but, I LOVE
    IT !!!!!!!!!!

14. Jefferson

15. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Screenwriter
    Supporter

Any rumors on Hello, Dolly!?? One of my favs!

Mark

16. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Mark
    I believe Hello Dolly is tied to the "ALl That Jazz" promotion. FOX has mention the title over two years ago, then "ATJ" got pushed back, then "Chicago" was going to open, then "Chicago" opened...then "Chicago" was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar...then "Chicago" may win....Fox released both titles overseas...But They are still waiting for the "Right" Window" in other word Don't hold your breath.[​IMG]

17. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

18. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

19. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

It looks like ALL of the Universal musicals (except sweet Charity) are put off till end of may- beginning of June)

20. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    I'll believe the world has changed when Universal releases KING OF JAZZ (1930)on DVD and WB does a DVD set consisting of SHOW OF SHOWS, ON WITH THE SHOW and other dawn of sound items. Laser had some extremely good early musical boxed sets; there are a ton of Vitaphone shorts that would make excellent sets too. Hey, add remastered Betty Boop to the mix and you'll have a real party. [​IMG]