Fruit trees and ants

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Howard Williams, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

I have a few fruit trees, lemon, grapefruit, orange, plum & peach. The lemon & grapefruit trees are strong producers but I rarely eat the fruit because I spray the yard and the trees for ants as needed. I've always assumed you shouldn't eat fruit that has been sprayed with insecticide, for example any of the more common solutions you find at Home Depot. So how do I keep ants and other pest from ruining my fruit and avoid poisoning myself?

I'm sure there's something I'm missing. Is simply washing the fruit really enough?

Thanxxx in advance.

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I thought there was some sticky stuff you could paint around the trunk of the tree that would stop insects from climbing. You'd still have ants, but they shouldn't be able to get to the fruit.

3. Eden Keeper

Eden Keeper Auditioning

The ants are probably after aphids, which they actually farm like dairy cows. There are safer (organic) products like insecticidal soap and oil spray for aphids as well as biological controls such as aphid predators that are probably killed by the ant spray being used. The most important thing is to read and follow the label on any pesticide. It includes both the pest in will kill and the plants that it can be used on safely. There is great information at any County Extension Service office, I found one publication that gave a recipe for an ant bait (as I recall dissolve 1 tsp. boric acid, which is a powder used for roaches, and 1/4 cup sugar in water so you would want to confirm it) that I found more effective than claimed. If kept clean, away from pets (just to be safe), and topped off with water a (covered) cup or small bowl near each tree could work for months.