What's new

Frugle HDTV shopping (1 Viewer)

Jordan_C

Auditioning
I'm in the market for a new tv and my brother insists that it be an HDTV. Other than that all he said was 16:9 is a must. For me(the one who's paying) $500 sounds good.

Any recommendations?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I don't think there is anything at that price point...for a $100 more you could get a tiny 26" HDTV with built in decoder, but that seems like a waste if it's going to be the prime "home theater" tv in the house.

You may want to double (or close to it) you budget and then you can find some bigger, nicer sets.

Good luck!

John S

Senior HTF Member
The place I bought mine from www.electronicsalley.com has the 30" Philips for: (Just click where it says specials)

Item Weight Price Quantity Total
30PW850H
SKU/Part No: 30PW850H
- $359.00 $359.00
Sub Total: $359.00
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Total: $359.00

That is about as on the cheap as you will get with warranty.

No real endorsement of the place other than I purchased my 60" through them and it worked out very well for me price and experience and product wise.

Brian Gi

Stunt Coordinator
Try phillipsoutlet.com you've got several choices there. They are refurbed but do have a warranty.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
If you are looking for quality (as in excellent picture and sound), you will need much more than $500 dollars for a 16:9 HDTV.

Frankly, I would just get a quality standard tv if that's your price point. There are various very good standard tv's at this price point nowadays that are great for regular tv, gaming, and DVD's. They will also be better for you standard cable/tv programming. If you don't want to do this, wait.

HDTV is still kind of overrated to me anyway. There is not enough of it. Most of whats on it I don't watch anyway. This will change in the next few years as gaming/dvd's make their way to the format for me.

I say hold this one out for a couple years until good HDTV sets fall to this price. Or wait longer and up the budget.

Run to Walmart and buy something to tide you over or keep using what you have. I used a $99 13 inch Emerson until I was able to save enough cash last christmas for the Sony HDTV I now have.

Save the rest of the money and start a fund with it. Add a little each week. In a year or two, you will have a tv fund. Not to mention things will be cheaper and probably a little better.

Oh yes. If you plan on not paying for the tv outright, even better to save the money so you can pay cash. I despise debt for outdated items I am using already and try to avoid that at all costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks