Frt P/j ?:Pulldown Screen or Painted Wall?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by todbnla, Jan 10, 2005.

1. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Projector Screen or Painted Wall?
    I have room to go either way in my new setup but I have already dedicated an area of blank wall if I want to paint my screen on using the various colors that seem to work fine (found on AVS forum) but my question is this:
    If you had the chance to do it over again would you use a store bought screen or paint one on your wall?

PLMK-Thanks!! [​IMG]

2. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

Todd

I have tried a number of solutions and happily settled for a wall painted with Goo Screen Paint. The pull down would move slightly when the air conditioner was on which was very distracting for me.

The goo gave me a better picture and had a better reflective quality than the other paints I tried.
    http://www.goosystems.com

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    When I had my front projection I used a painted wall each time. My personal taste is away from screen. There is something about them that bugs me. I like the look of a projected image on a smooth flat wall with a black framed border around it. The resulting image just looks better.

My personal preference has always been a flat white paint. I have tried silvers, greys, pinks, yellows and more and white always ended up giving me the best picture.

My thought is this too. You can always set up your theater with a painted screen wall and see if you like it or not. If you don't care for the picture you can always try a screen. It is much cheaper to start out with a painted wall than go with the screen first and decide you don't like the look.

Having said all that if I were to get a screen it would definitely be a Carada as I really have liked the overall resulting displayed picture from their screens.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Painted wall over a screen, especially pulldown, anyday of the week.

5. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Thanks gents, that definitely is what I wanted to know and one point really drove it home for me, my room is apx 20x20 and it does have a/c as well as 2 hi mounted ceiling fans which as mentioned above would have caused a problem. Thats why I like this forum so much, you always get the info you need. [​IMG]

Painted screen it is...

Thanks! [​IMG]

6. Tony Loewen

Tony Loewen Stunt Coordinator

diy screen is the way I went. Blackout cloth stretched over a 1/4" plywood sheet 48" x 85.6"on a 2x2 frame, screen framed with 2x4's wrapped in black velvet. PQ is awesome, and everyone who sees it swears it looks professional. overall, about $50 well spent.

7. Mike D.

Mike D. Stunt Coordinator

When you all refer to "painted wall", do you mean quite literally, just painting right on the drywall??

I'm just building a new room right now and I'd love to do something that cheap for a while if it works well, then go back and add a screen later.

8. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Some people paint right on the wall, some people use some form of material in a frame that they paint. I have a DIY screen that is painted blackout cloth stretched over a frame with a black fabric border. My new house that I'm moving into in July will likely require a different sized screen, so I intend to do another. This house will have textured walls, so rather than do all that prep, I'll probably do another cloth screen. The biggest reason to go with paint right on the wall is if you want your screen to be bigger than what you can find fabric for.

9. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

I am blessed with almost flat walls. I actually prefer a very, very light texture as the light diffuese better. that is of course subjective.

If you are going right on top of Drywall make sure you have a very good base coat and I always suggest painting a black border.

10. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

I will second the need for a black border. I used a DIY 92" screen, just blackout cloth stretched over a canvas frame, for the first two years I had my projector. This past weekend I upgraded to a 100" Carada. There is improvement in the picture quality when graded against the blackout cloth, but the reduced light spill and perceived improvement in contrast from the Carada's black border made the biggest difference.

I also must stress the need to have your "screen" mounted or painted at the right height. I hung my DIY screen too low; raising the screen has improved the atmosphere quite a bit. It feels much more like a movie theater now.

11. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Ok, here is the area I dedicated for the screen, its primed waiting for the paint of my choice.
    [​IMG]

12. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

Painted wall