1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Frozen II (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jake Lipson, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Okay, let's play a game. I'll bet you one "Like" that either of these two things happen:

1) Silvestri is nominated and/or
    2) Williams wins.

So, if I'm right, I will come back to this thread and unlike your previous post. If I'm right, you can Like this post (or, if you want to Like it now, then you come back and Unlike it if you're right.) ;)

And since this whole discussion of who is going to win the score Oscar has become a sidebar to the actual discussion of Frozen, I will reiterate my wish for Christophe Beck's score to be nominated. I would also really like it if Disney would release it on an actual actual CD; as of right now only the songs are available on a physical disc. Just putting that out there again.

2. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter
    Well, I had to catch this movie before my annual Christmas trip to NY, as one of the display windows at Saks Fifth Avenue could be a potential spoiler, according to one site.

As someone who really liked the first film, I thought the sequel was good, but not as good. I did like the idea of trying to expand the story more, and seeing the characters go on an adventure together.

There were some things that I did not like, one of them Kristoff trying to propose to Anna, which reeks of a Hanna-Barbera trope. And I did find Olaf a tad irritating this time around.

But the worst was that the songs were not memorable at all, with the slight exception of "Lost in the Woods", only because it sounds like an 80's ballad. And I love 80's music! With the first film, I was listening to the songs on my computer or phone, as I thought they were awesome. But with the sequel, I don't really have that desire.

Overall, it was a fun experience, though not nearly as good as Hidden World.

3. lisa734

lisa734 Auditioning

Lisa Lewis
    I still haven't watched this cartoon. I can’t understand if it’s worth my time. Although I liked the first cartoon

Brent Reid likes this.
  4. Message #104 of 119 Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    If you liked the first one, then I think it's worth your time.

I just saw Frozen II the second time in IMAX, and liked it even better than the first time in 3D. Frozen II has good songs, dazzling animation, some laughs, and a rather surreal and complicated story that makes you think. Recommended! My rating: A-, although I admit that I often like Disney movies quite a bit.

PS This new opinion piece in the New York Times on Frozen II has some spoilers in it, but it reveals that the movie is actually taking on some big issues in a good way....

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/12/opinion/frozen-2-movie.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

lisa734 likes this.
  5. lisa734

lisa734 Auditioning

Lisa Lewis
    Yes, this is exactly what I most appreciated in the first part of the cartoon.
    And I can say that "Frozen" is a very good level, even for Disney.

benbess likes this.
  6. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I’ll take that bet.
    Neither will happen.

7. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    What’s a “cartoon”? Is that even a word anymore?;)

8. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Yeah, I'd call Frozen II more an epic animated action-adventure musical.

Aren't cartoons usually short?

9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

To me, people seem to use "animated feature" or whatever they've come up because the word "cartoon" has been ghettoized. It's like people saying "graphic novel" instead of "comic book".

10. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Yeah. Cartoon sounds so Saturday morning Hanna Barbera. ;)

11. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

If a person is looking for a musical experience where the only thing memorable was the overwhelming popularity of one song then you probably will not think the second movie lives up to the first one.

The story in the second one is more complicated. The film does not have a lot of laughs and the music is actually supporting the story; It doesn't become the story like the first one had happen.

As a pure musical, the film is not as good as the first one. As a film and a story, the second one is better.

The thing I found odd about the second film is that a lot of the main character songs are reprised in the credits and actually sound better there than when they were song by their respective characters. I also found the BGM in the film to be better than any of the signature songs.

12. Message #112 of 119 Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Disney released a multi-language reel of the complete Into the Unknown sequence across 29 different languages.

benbess likes this.
  13. Chris Will

Chris Will Screenwriter

Chris WIlliams
    I think "Knives Out" and "A Hidden Life" are the 2 best scores I've heard this year, so far.

Endgame is not even close, and I say that has big Silvestri fan. I think his scores for the Avengers movies are fine but, his action music during the last decade has gotten pretty bland IMO.

Now that the FYC album for The Rise of Skywalker was leaked this week, we've gotten a little taste of that score. My early opinion is that it is some of Williams' best action music writing of that last decade. I doubt it will win an Oscar but, it will probably get nominated.

14. Message #114 of 119 Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    One of the things that annoys me about the deluxe soundtrack is the separation of the songs, which appear first, from the score. I like it much better when they are interspersed in the chronological order in which all the music appears in the film. For those curious, below is the correct order in which to arrange your playlists if you want to hear the entire soundtrack in sequence. I'm putting it in spoiler brackets in case anyone hasn't seen the film yet.

1) Introduction
    2) The Northuldra
    3) All Is Found
    4) Some Things Never Change
    5) Sisters
    6) Into the Unknown
    7) Exodus
    8) The Mist
    9) When I Am Older
    10) Wind
    11) Fire and Ice
    12) Iduna's Scarf*
    13) Earth Giants
    14) Reindeer(s) Are Better Than People (Reprise)
    15) Lost In the Woods
    16) The Ship
    17) River Slide
    18) Dark Sea
    19) Show Yourself
    20) Ghosts of Arandelle Past
    21) Gone Too Far
    22) The Next Right Thing
    23) Rude Awakening
    24) The Flood
    25) Reindeer Circle
    26) Reunion
    27) Epilogue

*In the score portion of the soundtrack, "Fire and Ice" appears after "Iduna's Scarf," but I'm pretty sure that's an incorrect order. I've seen the movie twice and I'm pretty sure that Elsa fights the fire and finds the salamander (Fire and Ice) before they realize that her mother was Northuldra. So for whatever reason those two score tracks appear to be flipped in the album order. I'll check to verify the next time I see the movie.

The total running time of this playlist is 1 hour 16 minutes, or more if you add the end credit pop songs too. (I don't because I think those are terrible.)

Combining these with the songs and score from the original Frozen soundtrack, plus Frozen Fever and the songs from Olaf's Frozen Adventure, gives you a playlist that is 2 hours 37 minutes altogether. (There's also a score suite on the Olaf's Frozen Adventure soundtrack, but I had to leave that out because it combines into one track things that would be placed chronologically in between the songs, so it's impossible to have that in there chronologically unless you know how to splice one track into multiple ones, but I don't.) I also excluded the "score demo" tracks from the original's deluxe edition because, even though there is some more music on there that's not heard on the album in finished form, it would interrupt the flow of the music to include a demo in the middle of finished orchestral music.

15. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    The first Frozen Deluxe and Moana Deluxe arrange the songs in the same way. I get what you're saying, but it's not out of the ordinary for a Disney release.

16. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Oh, I know that and it annoys me there too. I was not expecting this release to suddenly break with the pattern. I typically arrange them in chronological order. I just figured I would post the list in case anyone else wanted to do the same.

17. AlexF

AlexF Supporting Actor

Alex
    Went and saw this today with my youngest (7).

Theatre was full and the two showings after also both close to sold out.

I enjoyed it, liked the call-back to the snowman line and song in the first, enjoyed the Kristoff and Sven song, and really liked the story overall.

As someone else said earlier in the thread, they expanded the world really well, and it should make for a fun back-to-back viewing in a few months when the blu-ray is out.

18. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Beginning next Friday, Frozen II be playing sing-along engagements with lyric subtitles on screen and the implied allowing of the audience to sing.

If anybody has been putting off going to see this, you might want to do it before the sing-along version arrives. I'm a huge fan of this movie and have seen it three times, but I can't imagine going to see it in a theater under that circumstance.

19. JimmyO

JimmyO Berserker
    Supporter

Jim
    My mother used to buy cartons of cigarettes and used to pronounce it a "cartoon" of cigarettes.

brought to you by: trivia you don't need and didn't ask for.

Tino likes this.