What's new

Disney's Frozen II (2019) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
When people talk about songs from Frozen, I always think of the reference in Deadpool 2 to how "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" is a ripoff of "Papa Can You Hear Me?" from Yentl. :D

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney says on their Facebook page that the Frozen II trailer was viewed 116.4 million times in the first 24 hours online, which is a new record for an animated film.

So there's a huge amount of interest in the movie.

In other news, water is wet.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Frozen II poster.jpg

Trailer debuts tomorrow morning on Good Morning America and should end up screening with Toy Story 4.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
No reactions to the trailer?

I think that looks AWESOME. I'm glad they're expanding the world and can't wait to see what happens next.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The trailer looks great. I predict Marvel- and Star Wars-level excitement over this one, with tickets selling out fast for the early shows. Frozen was a phenomenon in late 2013; that alone will carry the new movie to a big opening.

We took the kids to the first movie on opening weekend, before it was universally known. It was nice to experience it in that moment of relative calm.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
New stills.

Frozen II still 1.jpg

Frozen II still 2.jpg

Per Disney social media, Sterling K. Brown is playing Lieutenant Matthias (presumably the top photo) and Evan Rachel Wood is playing Queen Iduna (presumably the bottom photo.) We knew earlier that they were in the movie, but this is the first confirmation of who they are playing. Queen Iduna is Anna and Elsa's mother; this we know from the Frozen Broadway show, the script for which was also written by Jennifer Lee.

This photo is obviously from a flashback because Anna and Elsa are young in it. Furthermore, it has to be a flashback to before the events of the first movie's prologue, because they are together in it and therefore Elsa has yet to be sequestered in her room. However, if you get someone like Evan Rachel Wood in a musical film, presumably it's a big role and she would be asked to sing something, because she has an amazing voice. Therefore, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that at least their mother, if not both parents, survived the shipwreck from the first film. It just seems like Wood is a bigger "get" than would be the case for a tiny role of someone who's already dead. If Anna and Elsa's parents are, in fact, alive, then they would still technically be king and queen.

Edit: Oh My Disney has a report on the panel, which confirms that Evan Rachel Wood will sing a song called "All is Found" in a flashback. (My speculation still holds though.) Other songs include "Into the Unknown" and "Some Things Never Change." They also confirmed that there will be seven new songs total.

https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2019/08/24/frozen-2-announcements-d23-expo/?cmp=smc|2587933943

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I looked at the first Frozen again tonight to check if Queen Iduna had any lines in it, because I couldn't remember any. It turns out she does have exactly one. Spoilers below for a six-year-old movie...

When Elsa accidentally freezes Anna's head, she calls for "Mama! Papa!" They rush in the room. Her mom (unidentified by name in the film) gasps. Her dad says "Elsa, what have you done?" Her mom picks up the unconscious Anna and says "She's ice cold!" King says "I know where we have to go," and they go to see the rock trolls. The queen is in the scene with the trolls but doesn't speak in it, and also does not speak when parting ways with Elsa and Anna to go on the trip during which they are lost at sea. "She's ice cold" is the queen's only line in the entire film.

In the credits, Maurice LaMarche is credited as playing "King," but he had more lines throughout the prologue. There is no one credited specifically as playing the queen, but there are a bunch of people categorized as providing "Additional Voices" underneath the main cast.

Considering that the queen's voice role in the first movie was so brief that they didn't even specifically credit whomever voiced her with the character, I am not surprised that that person is not returning. I'm sure the directors know who it was, but since it was only one line, it makes sense why they would want to recast it if she is now receiving an expanded role. In addition, of course, she now sings. Evan Rachel Wood is a fantastic singer (see Across the Universe) and she will be able to perform whatever Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez have written for her beautifully.

That being said, I do wonder how the "additional voices" person who said "She's ice cold!" feels about Evan Rachel Wood being given the role. I'm sure she would be professional about it. Hypothetically, though, if it were me I would also be kind of bummed not to be in the second movie now that they are giving the character more to do.

Edit: The movie credits themselves do not confirm this, so I'm not sure where IMDb got the information, but they list Jennifer Lee as playing "Queen"/Additional Voices. Jennifer Lee is also the writer and co-director of both Frozen and Frozen II, and she is now in charge of Walt Disney Animation Studios. The credits do list her among the "Additional Voices" people, so that part of it checks out even if the film doesn't specify that she played the queen. However, if we assume that IMDb is accurate in this incidence, then she chose to recast herself with Evan Rachel Wood for the sequel. So we know that the original one-line actress does not harbor any bruised feelings about "losing" the role.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Jennifer Lee tweeted -- along with the first still I posted in post #30 -- "Many have been asking me about spelling and title. Meet Lieutenant Destin Mattias."

This corrects the spelling "Matthias" which was posted on Disney's social handles this past weekend.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Cover art for The Art of Frozen II by Jessica Julus, which is released the same day as the film, November 22.

Art of Frozen II.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Per Disney social media, a new trailer for Frozen II will debut on Good Morning America on Monday.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That looks awesome. I can't wait for this; it is my most anticipated movie for the rest of the year by a lot.

That being said, one minor nitpick...since Anna's line recapping her achievements from the first film is supposed to be comedic, wouldn't it be funnier to reference Hans as her "ex-fiance" rather than her "ex-boyfriend?" Ex-boyfriend isn't wrong, but it would be more self-deprecating and therefore funnier for Anna to acknowledge her error in judgment in getting engaged to him.

I wonder whether or not the reference to him foreshadows the possibility that we might see him again, or if it really is only meant to recap the first one and move on. It is a wish-list item of mine for him to come back and be a full-on Disney villain with a Disney villain song (which I think he should have gotten in the first film when he locked Anna in the room, since that moment practically begs for a "Love Is An Open Door" evil reprise, but they didn't do it.)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
New poster. Not a big fan of this one. Too much Big Head Syndrome. Also, it's kind of weird that Elsa is at the bottom of the poster and in the middle of it.

Frozen II poster 3.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The soundtrack will be released November 15 (the Friday prior to the movie release on November 22.) Unfortunately, they're going to be releasing one album with the songs, which will have 11 tracks (8 songs from the body of the film plus 3 pop covers from the end credits) and another album with the score, meaning you've got to pay twice if you want to have everything. This just seems like a cheap move by Disney to milk more money out of dedicated fans who want everything.

It does not appear that they are going to do a 2-disc deluxe edition like they did for the first Frozen, which had songs and score together on the first disc, plus a second disc of demo versions, cut songs, alternate cues and so forth. I bought the 2-disc version last time and I would be happy to pay a few dollars more to have one release with everything on it similar in style to the treatment the first movie received, rather than having to buy the songs and score separately.

Amazon has the MP3 version of the songs soundtrack available for pre-order now, as well as a vinyl version with just the 8 songs from in the body of the film, but they haven't put either of the physical CDs up for pre-order.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The soundtrack will be released November 15 (the Friday prior to the movie release on November 22.) Unfortunately, they're going to be releasing one album with the songs, which will have 11 tracks (8 songs from the body of the film plus 3 pop covers from the end credits) and another album with the score, meaning you've got to pay twice if you want to have everything. This just seems like a cheap move by Disney to milk more money out of dedicated fans who want everything.

This would be consistent with what they did for Cars 3 and The Lion King (the soundtrack album plus The Gift from Beyonce). At least with Cars 3, both discs were pretty cheap. I do doubt the price will be that cheap from Frozen II.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I do doubt the price will be that cheap from Frozen II.

Amazon just listed the CD with the songs, and the price is currently $11.40. Of course, the price could and probably will adjust down before release, but that's what it's being listed for right now. The score CD has not been listed yet. If the score CD also costs $11.40, then the combination of those two prices combined would be more money than I spent for the two-disc deluxe edition of the original's soundtrack.

CD cover:

Frozen II songs soundtrack.jpg

Vinyl cover:

Frozen II vinyl.jpg

The vinyl release includes the eight tracks performed by the cast, but not the three pop covers.

The score release has not been detailed yet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks