1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Frozen II (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jake Lipson, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    When people talk about songs from Frozen, I always think of the reference in Deadpool 2 to how "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" is a ripoff of "Papa Can You Hear Me?" from Yentl. :D

2. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Disney says on their Facebook page that the Frozen II trailer was viewed 116.4 million times in the first 24 hours online, which is a new record for an animated film.

So there's a huge amount of interest in the movie.

In other news, water is wet.

TravisR, Tommy R, Jeff Adkins and 2 others like this.
  3. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Frozen II poster.

Trailer debuts tomorrow morning on Good Morning America and should end up screening with Toy Story 4.

Sam Favate likes this.
  4. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson

5. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    No reactions to the trailer?

I think that looks AWESOME. I'm glad they're expanding the world and can't wait to see what happens next.

holtge likes this.
  6. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    The trailer looks great. I predict Marvel- and Star Wars-level excitement over this one, with tickets selling out fast for the early shows. Frozen was a phenomenon in late 2013; that alone will carry the new movie to a big opening.

We took the kids to the first movie on opening weekend, before it was universally known. It was nice to experience it in that moment of relative calm.

holtge and Jake Lipson like this.
  7. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
  8. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I hope it's better than the first one was.

Malcolm R likes this.
  9. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Frozen II second poster.

benbess and holtge like this.
  10. Message #30 of 33 Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    New stills.

Frozen II still 1.
    Frozen II still 2.

Per Disney social media, Sterling K. Brown is playing Lieutenant Matthias (presumably the top photo) and Evan Rachel Wood is playing Queen Iduna (presumably the bottom photo.) We knew earlier that they were in the movie, but this is the first confirmation of who they are playing. Queen Iduna is Anna and Elsa's mother; this we know from the Frozen Broadway show, the script for which was also written by Jennifer Lee.

This photo is obviously from a flashback because Anna and Elsa are young in it. Furthermore, it has to be a flashback to before the events of the first movie's prologue, because they are together in it and therefore Elsa has yet to be sequestered in her room. However, if you get someone like Evan Rachel Wood in a musical film, presumably it's a big role and she would be asked to sing something, because she has an amazing voice. Therefore, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that at least their mother, if not both parents, survived the shipwreck from the first film. It just seems like Wood is a bigger "get" than would be the case for a tiny role of someone who's already dead. If Anna and Elsa's parents are, in fact, alive, then they would still technically be king and queen.

Edit: Oh My Disney has a report on the panel, which confirms that Evan Rachel Wood will sing a song called "All is Found" in a flashback. (My speculation still holds though.) Other songs include "Into the Unknown" and "Some Things Never Change." They also confirmed that there will be seven new songs total.

https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2019/08/24/frozen-2-announcements-d23-expo/?cmp=smc|2587933943

11. Message #31 of 33 Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I looked at the first Frozen again tonight to check if Queen Iduna had any lines in it, because I couldn't remember any. It turns out she does have exactly one. Spoilers below for a six-year-old movie...

When Elsa accidentally freezes Anna's head, she calls for "Mama! Papa!" They rush in the room. Her mom (unidentified by name in the film) gasps. Her dad says "Elsa, what have you done?" Her mom picks up the unconscious Anna and says "She's ice cold!" King says "I know where we have to go," and they go to see the rock trolls. The queen is in the scene with the trolls but doesn't speak in it, and also does not speak when parting ways with Elsa and Anna to go on the trip during which they are lost at sea. "She's ice cold" is the queen's only line in the entire film.

In the credits, Maurice LaMarche is credited as playing "King," but he had more lines throughout the prologue. There is no one credited specifically as playing the queen, but there are a bunch of people categorized as providing "Additional Voices" underneath the main cast.

Considering that the queen's voice role in the first movie was so brief that they didn't even specifically credit whomever voiced her with the character, I am not surprised that that person is not returning. I'm sure the directors know who it was, but since it was only one line, it makes sense why they would want to recast it if she is now receiving an expanded role. In addition, of course, she now sings. Evan Rachel Wood is a fantastic singer (see Across the Universe) and she will be able to perform whatever Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez have written for her beautifully.

That being said, I do wonder how the "additional voices" person who said "She's ice cold!" feels about Evan Rachel Wood being given the role. I'm sure she would be professional about it. Hypothetically, though, if it were me I would also be kind of bummed not to be in the second movie now that they are giving the character more to do.

Edit: The movie credits themselves do not confirm this, so I'm not sure where IMDb got the information, but they list Jennifer Lee as playing "Queen"/Additional Voices. Jennifer Lee is also the writer and co-director of both Frozen and Frozen II, and she is now in charge of Walt Disney Animation Studios. The credits do list her among the "Additional Voices" people, so that part of it checks out even if the film doesn't specify that she played the queen. However, if we assume that IMDb is accurate in this incidence, then she chose to recast herself with Evan Rachel Wood for the sequel. So we know that the original one-line actress does not harbor any bruised feelings about "losing" the role.

12. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Jennifer Lee tweeted -- along with the first still I posted in post #30 -- "Many have been asking me about spelling and title. Meet Lieutenant Destin Mattias."

This corrects the spelling "Matthias" which was posted on Disney's social handles this past weekend.

13. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Cover art for The Art of Frozen II by Jessica Julus, which is released the same day as the film, November 22.

Art of Frozen II.