Frozen 3D Bungle?!

Tino

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Valentino
Ronald Epstein said:
I agree with you, Johnny. Thank you for pointing that out.

I just got my copy from the U.K. this afternoon. I watched the first 5 minutes of the film just
to see what everyone was talking about, then I went and watched the short, "Get A Horse."

The short is a lot of fun. Very clever. There are a lot of "pop-out" moments.

The beginning of the film, with the saw going through the ice has another "pop-out" moment.

...but none of that pop-out is major.

I don't want to bring down the enthusiasm of everyone. I wonder how many people have seen
what real pop-out should look like.

Forgive me for bringing this up over and over again, but everyone needs to see Chapter 3 of
IMAX: UNDER THE SEA. If not that, A TURTLE'S TALE (Region 2).

That is what major pop-out is all about. Major pop-out is when objects seemingly come so far
out of the screen that it hovers inches from your nose. Outside of the two titles I mentioned above,
nobody has done 3D pop-out, as well pronounced, in any major film that I am aware of.

Second best selections (not nearly as good) are A TURTLE'S TALE 2 (U.S.A.) or the ending
sequence to DESPICABLE ME or DESPICABLE ME 2.
(Available in the USA).

Even those titles have more prominent pop-out than anything I have seen thus far on the
Frozen 3D disc.

...not to say that the 3D doesn't seem to be exceptional. I was pretty taken back by the amount
of depth in Frozen. It looks spectacular. I hope to watch the whole thing tomorrow.

I just would like to give everyone an idea of how GREAT 3D pop-out should strive to be -- and
the only way to really know what it is all about, is to check out the titles I mentioned above.

I just get a little down when people call this major pop-out. Trust me, it's moderate.

...and my apologies for getting a little riled up about this. All of you know how much of a
3D advocate I have become and how disappointed I am with the direction Hollywood has
gone in making this format as entertaining as it could be.

That Mickey Mouse short had potential. The animators played it safe, in my opinion.

Tip:

Just for the level of pop-out, buying Under The Sea from Amazon might be the best
$23 you spend this month. Guaranteed you will be showing it off to your friends.
At Best Buy, there are a few 3D double feature bundles, one of which is IMAX Under The Sea/ IMAX Deep Sea for only $24.50.

Also picked up To The Arctic / Born To Be Wild 3D combo for the same price. Great deal.

Mark-P

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Mark Probst
Jeff Brooks said:
I just received my copy today. The 3d disc was a floater, so I am hoping for the best.
That scratch-resistant coating they use on Blu-rays is amazing. All the Blu-ray floaters I've received are pristine, whereas the DVD floaters are scuffed up terribly.

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Matthew
I had the opposite problem; mine was a little snug in the case.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Reaction score
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm giving serious thought to renting Frozen 3D on VOD before I get my parents to pick up the title in the UK.

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Matthew
I just got back from Best Buy and learned that Planes, the textbook definition of mediocrity, is available in a 2D/3D combo on Blu-ray. In the United States. Right now. But this billion dollar-grossing, Oscar-winning film isn't?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
MatthewA said:
I just got back from Best Buy and learned that Planes, the textbook definition of mediocrity, is available in a 2D/3D combo on Blu-ray. In the United States. Right now. But this billion dollar-grossing, Oscar-winning film isn't?
Ain't American marketing know how great? :)

SFMike

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Michael
Just a little more salt on our "Frozen 3D" wound. Here is a pic of the asian edition. Why is Disney marketing punishing the US? If they are worried about black market copies, why release in asia?

RolandL

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Super Synergy

"SUPER SYNERGY: Frozen will have extensive company-wide marketing leading up to the October 2014 3-D DVD/BluRay release. There will be support for Frozen across consumer product divisions, including videogames, electronics, toys, apparel, stationery, and home furnishings."

SFMike

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Michael
I guess we 3D lovers are just "super" special and they wanted something really special to drive up the price of the 3D version beyond what the rest of the world paid. They are to good to us.......really....

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
John Maher_289910 said:
I already have it, and I WILL NOT be double dipping.
+1

RolandL

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Yes, close caption. Usually they have two versions for each title, one with CC. Yesterday they only had the CC version for Frozen.

RolandL

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Yesterday Starz added the non CC version of Frozen in 3D. I watched it and there is pop-out but none of it is major as Ron said. I have to wait till the US Blu-ray is released to see what features are offered. I now have seen the movie in 3D - even though it was side by side instead of 1080p per eye - but isn't that what passive 3D displays have?

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
RolandL said:
I now have seen the movie in 3D - even though it was side by side instead of 1080p per eye - but isn't that what passive 3D displays have?
Yes, for passive consumer 1080P 3D displays. Some new UHD 4k displays render passive full native 1080P per eye.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just want to say that it's AMAZING how one or two people swore
up and down that a domestic 3D release of Frozen would happen
by year's end.

Well....as expected...it didn't

Reactions: pitchman and Tino

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Jack
Ron-

noticed in the Target ad they have went FROZEN bonkers! I guess this new Sing Along Edition is what everyone was waiting for! haha

They are pushing this movie again like it just came out. All I thought was how everyone expected a Fall/Winter US 3D release also and nothing.

This just proves U.S. is not getting a 3D edition anytime soon. Aside from Disney Marvel's 3D titles I think that is all they are gonna touch in the U.S.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Tony D.
And Target has a tiny cardboard backdrop that you can take a picute in front of and tweet it.Also no bluray version for the sing along.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kanchibrneha