What's new

Frosty The Snowman (1 Viewer)

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
OK,
I bought Frosty and / Frosty returns on DVD today. I haven't opened it yet because I noticed that Frosty returns has John Goodman...meaning that it isn't the one with Jack Frost.
There was a 3 DVD gift set with Rudolph, Frosty and Santa Clause is coming to town... Is the Frosty DVD in that Gift set the same as I have or does it have the Frosty with Jack Frost?
Why wouldn't they put the two original Frosty's together...anyone know the deal on that? Just wondering if I should open it or not...

Thanks,

dan

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Well, the special you're looking for, "Frosty's Winter Wonderland," isn't even available on DVD, nor do Sony/Classic Media have the rights to release it on DVD. All rights to "Frosty's Winter Wonderland" (including video/DVD rights) are controlled by Warner Bros., who owns the rights to all Rankin-Bass material produced after the company broke off from Videocraft (by then acquired by Tomorrow Entertainment) in the early 70's.

Brenton

Screenwriter
I think that Frosty Returns really sucks, and I have no idea why Rankin/Bass seems to be embracing it as an "official" sequel to the original Frosty. I, too, have seen and loved Frosty's Winter Wonderland (that's the one with Jack Frost).
If only they could release a disc of the original Frosty and Frosty's Winter Wonderland to let Frosty Returns burn in a huge smoldering furnace.

Lafe F

Second Unit
Frosty Returns is junk.
Frosty's Winter Wonderland is supreme, but is sadly only available on VHS.
I wouldn't mind "Christmas in July" either.
Hey, can anybody recommend this particlar "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" DVD?

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
This is the original adaptation of the Dr. Seuss classic, originating in 1957--nine years before the cartoon classic that features Boris Karloff. For purists, this is the one to get. It features Matthau simply reading from the book--the exact words--over artwork drawn by Seuss (as featured in the original book). The animated Karloff adaptation will always be the best, but this version is not far behind. For what it's worth, its IMDb rating is 9.0 out of 10 (34 votes)--so people who have bothered tracking it down clearly like it.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Original? Actually, no. I think that adaptation was done in the 80s for Random House Home Video (remember those ultra-limited-animation "videobooks"?)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Original? Actually, no. I think that adaptation was done in the 80s for Random House Home Video (remember those ultra-limited-animation "videobooks"?)
You "think"? You could look it up before claiming someone is wrong.
From All Movie Guide (one of several sources):
"Original drawings from the book by Dr. Seuss make up this reading of the children's novel by rough-voiced actor Walter Matthau. A visual presentation of Seuss' original book and music, this video was produced in 1957, shortly after the publication of the book itself. In what has become a classic tale, the Grinch attempts to prevent holiday joy from reaching the town of Who-ville by destroying all the physical manifestations of festiveness. However, he soon learns that the spirit of Christmas can warm the hearts of the Who's, with or without the material goods that normally go with it."
All subsequent dates for this adaptation are reissues. It has been re-released many times, including this latest DVD.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Big deal. If you want artwork from the original book, then get the book. I don't need Walter Matthau reading it to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks