1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Fronts at Ear Level or in Line With Center?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent_N, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Brent_N

Brent_N Stunt Coordinator

My Paradigm CC-300 center channel will be on a shelf just above my Toshiba 65HDX82, so the center speaker will be around 67 inches high or so. I am considering putting my Paradigm Mini-Mk3 fronts on speaker stands.

The question is, should I place the fronts at ear level to the main seating position, or raise them to the same height of the center speaker?

Thanks

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Hard question. Ideally, you want both. It would probably be easire to keep the fronts at ear level, and point the center down to mimic it being at ear level.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    What Brian says.

Speakers have certain sonic characteristics, when listened to straight on (zero degrees) or when listened to off axis. If, for instance you were to have 3 identical speakers up front and the mains were at ear level while the centre was not, the centre could have a different timbre.

4. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

In this case it is better to have the main speakers at ear level.

Neil,

A raised center would not have a different timbre, just a different frequency response, that is of course if they corrrectly matched to begin with. Some manufacturers actually specifically design the center to sit on top of a certain height TV, and retain excellent frequency response.

5. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Personally I feel that having them all at the same height provides a greater benefit. For example, when the sound of a moving car pans from left to right the illusion is more seamless when the sound is emitted from the same height. When I took my center off the top of my TV and placed it below, closer to the height of my mains, I noticed an improvement right away.
    When I finally buy a front projector I hope to achieve the best of both by setting all three at ear level and mounting the screen just above.

6. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

James, even better get a sonically transparent screen and put the speakers behind the screen like the theater. That would be seamless.