fronts and surrounds...what is up?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by George bone, Jan 14, 2003.

1. George bone

George bone Agent

alright somone tell me what is up here. I hooked up all 4 of the speakers to my receiver two in front two in surround. There is almost NO sound comming from the back of the room from the surround speakers, even though the receiver said it was 65w per channel in surround, no less for the surround speakers than the fronts, I want sound comming from behind me just as much as in front and that is what I thought I was getting with the same watt output on all channels. what is going on?
    thanks

2. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Did you put it in a surround mode (Dolby Prologic, Dolby digital 5.1, DTS)? You should calibrate the sound, if nothing just place the receiver in test tone mode and listen to the Pink noise and try adjusting the channels to match in sound output!
    Describe your system for more advise!

Wes

3. George bone

George bone Agent

it is a harman kardon avr-65 receiver, I did put it into surround mode (dolby pro logic) and got almost no sound out of the rears, what should I do and how?

4. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

The surrounds often don't have that much information. You make it sound like you *do* get some sound out of the surrounds, just that it's not constant.

I'm guessing, but what you're experiencing is probably normal. When you're watching a movie in a (non Home!) theatre, there isn't too much usage of the surrounds. The surround speakers are used for pans and directional effects such as gunshots, or for ambience like rainfall.

5. George bone

George bone Agent

ya, but sitting even 5 feet away from them I cannot hear them at all. I have to put my head up real close, the noise I hear comming from them is guitars and drums and bass only very quiet. I want my room to be full of sound and not seem only half filled with sound. What should I do?

6. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

George I think your expectations of "surround" sound may be different then what it actually delivers. It sounds like you are looking for a five speaker stereo system. ie all five speakers playing the same material at the same volume. With Prologic this will not happen.

Having said, that how did you calibrate your system? It may be possible your surround volume is two low.

7. George bone

George bone Agent

I did not calibrate it I just hooked the speakers in thats all I did. What should I do to get what I want which is a room full of sound including from behind me, how about hooking all the speakers up to the front would that do any good?

8. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

As consumers, our REFERENCE tests tones / SPL levels come from ...
    1) AV Receiver internal test tone / 75 dB SPL
    2) Video Essentials / 75 dB SPL
    3) AVIA & Sound & Vision HT Tuneup / 85 dB SPL
    For more Calibration INFO, see my process using Video Essentials DVD & RS SPL Meter w/tripod.
    For more INFO on Dolby Sound Format(s), see Dolby Labs Technical Information webpage - which includes "A Listener's Guide to Pro Logic II", the new format that gives you multichannel (all-5 HT speakers) surround sound from any stereo source—CDs, tapes, videocassettes, TV broadcasts, AAC files, etc.
    NOTE: Because my website is 'FREE', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
    Phil

9. George bone

George bone Agent

I am thinking that the surround sound I was thinking of was wrong. Is there any way to get an equal ammount of sound comming from all speakers? Would it be wise to put all the speakers to the fronts? I am thinking I may just want to get an old 2 channel stereo, if I did this would I get the desired effect of equal sound output from all 4 speakers?

10. David Yevin

David Yevin Agent

since you haven't mentioned what your source material is: cd, dvd, t.v., etc. it's a little difficult to diagnose your issue.

for cd i think your wanting 5 channel stereo, which will output identical sounds to both right side channels and identical sounds to both left side channels. you will still need to calibrate all channels to get equal volume from each speaker.

for dvd and t.v. with dolby digital, PLII or dts, you won't always have "a room full of sound including from behind me"
    as others have said.

a list of your equipment and source material would be most beneficial.

11. George bone

George bone Agent

the source is a cd player a jvc cd player, I dont think my receiver has 5 channel stereo only 2 channel and 5 channel for surround sound. So for the time being until I get rid of this receiver what do you guys think about hooking all teh speakers up to the two front channels (there are only places for two front speakers so I would have to put both into slots for one)