Frontline - Private Warriors

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Dave Scarpa, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Wow now this was good reality TV. PBS is doomed now.

2. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

As the report stated the use of private contractors by the military is nothing new, but the scale to which they are being used in Iraq is new. Camp Anaconda was an amazing site.

I agreed with the point the guy from Brookings Institute made when he said that anytime you introduce critical personnel who do not answer to the chain of command, you introduce uncertainty. And uncertainty is never good in a miliary operation.

Interesting show.

Peace,

DM

3. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

"Frontline" has been one of the few consistently good news shows of the last couple of years. I can't believe that it's coming under target for telling more of both sides of stories than almost everything else out there.

I'm so disgusted with the gutting of PBS by Congress. A 46% reduction of funding over the next year!? The person they chose to head up the CPB is such a tool, and some of the attacks from certain officials on programs like "Buster" and "Sesame Street" are absolutely insane.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, Jesse, and all others who care about PBS: Write your congressman. That's what the ads on various PBS stations are saying, and that's what I've done.

5. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

Although the show wanted me to be angry about the money spent on contractors, I was actually happy to see how protected the soldiers were and the quality of the food that they were getting in Iraq. The skew of the show was that the soldiers should still be eating gruel and scrubbing toilets, even with a shortage of them there fighting the terrorists on their soil.

Granted, I do agree that the hired bodyguards/militia-type contractors should be overhauled or removed entirely, only the military should be used in a offensive position, but to pick on the military for contracting out latrine and cafeteria duties seemed to be a stretch.

6. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Darn. I think "Frontline" is one of the best shows on TV, I can't believe I missed this episode. [​IMG]

Woo-hoo; I just checked Zap2it and this episode is replaying on 6/28 at 3AM on one of my local PBS stations. Time to set the VCR.

Agree with the sentiment, especially about people outside the chain of command, but every single military op I have been involved in has had it's share of uncertainty, along with hurry-up-and waits, screwups, & FUBARS.

"If your attack is going well, you're walking into an ambush."

7. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

Julian, would you agree that most commanding officers want to minimize uncertainty before sending their soldiers into harms way?

I realize you haven't seen this episode, but I noticed the frustration among the CO's with the heightened level of uncertainty that the contractors posed.

I think you'll find the show interesting. Good show.

Peace,

DM

8. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    It's Hard to Endear oneself to a Populace when your Eating Loster and three types of Ice Cream and they have no Lights, Hot Water and Minimal food. WEven the Ex General's Comment on eating Rations in Somalia was telling.

9. Julian Reville

Yes, and they really try, hence the SOPs for EVERYTHING. But no plan survives contact with the enemy.

I programmed the VCR last night to record the replay.

10. Julian Reville

Well, the VCR caught the repeat and I just watched it. Damn, what a mess.

1- I was in the Army National Guard, and I pulled a lot of KP and latrine duty. We all did at one time in our military time, except the officers. It didn't hurt me.

2-$20 per meal!!!!! Even counting for inflation, that is outrageous, even for officers.

3-Going to an all volunteer force is the cause of the burgeoning of the contractor. And without the contractors, we would have to have a draft. Catch 22. Officers are exempted.

4-Now I know why I wasn't successful in getting my commission request approved: the main duties of my MOS have been contracted out. Damn officers.