What's new

Front vs. Rear Projector (1 Viewer)

Scott_Bry

Auditioning
Hi all,

I'm just in the starting stages of framing a HT room in my basement, but I'm thinking of having a couple of arched openings, instead of doors to keep it more open to the rest of the basement for viewing Football/B-Ball games, and general entertaining. So there would be some light.

Room is 14'w x 17'l, and I'd like to put in (2) rows of seats (3) each row. That means my front seats wil be about 11-12' from the screen.

Given all of the above, would I be better off w/ a rear projector TV in the 70" range? I was initially going to go w/ a front projector in the 80" range.

I've read some good things about the Panasonc and InFocus FP, but now thinking RP may be best. Please let me know your thoughts.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Helped setup a Panasonic AE900 with a 92" screen viewed from 11 feet and rear projection simply cannot touch it.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Definitely a front projector. And I would also go with a bigger screen. My projector room is 13'X17', with a 106" diagonal screen. The rear seats are about 15.5' back, and the front about 11.5' back. The kids like the front row, but I prefer the rear.

MichaelEM

Auditioning

Just something to keep in mind...

One good thing about leaving doors that you can close, is that you will be able to achieve excellent SPL levels with a lower powered subwoofer.

My biggest regret in my non-dedicated HT, is that I am unable to close off 2 large openings into the rest of the house. I have an SVS 20-39PCi sub, and while it sounds phenomenal, it can't quite pressurize the room the way I would like. It's still in the process of being fully calibrated however - I still need to work on getting rid of a null in the 50-70ish Hz range.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

I have been wrestling with the same thing you are. i am designing a basement HT that is close to same size of yours.

I had initially decided on a RPTV of about 60-65 inches and then thought about a FP setup so I "borrowed" a FP from work for the weekend just to see how it would work out. In one word all I can say is WOW!

I was sooo impressed with the ability to watch a movie on a 88" screen it was so cool. I sat as close as 5 feet from my "screen" (the living room wall and a white blanket hastily hung up for the occasion in the basement) at five feet I could see the SDE (screen door effect) but I can say that knowing what it was I could easily overlook it. sitting at eight feet it was a non issue.

The projector I used is approximately five year old Viewsonic used for powerpoint and computer applications and was not the "ideal" for HT use. The wife still made fun of my grin when she saw me watching Spiderman on that 88" screen until that is when I brought the projector up into the living room and she could watch We TV on a 72" screen and then the smiles were hers.

For your application I don't think that you could go wrong and this weekend had definitely put me into the FP category for sure.

Good Luck and Happy Planning.

P.S. FWIW some of the new projectors I have been reading about seem to handle some ambient light issues better than in the past so your open area may not be such a problem you will just want to try several if you can to see if they will work for you.

Oren Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Keep the openings, while perfect with no light a HT front projector is still very good at low light. Can you hang drapes to close these areas off when desired? BTW I have a L-500 Panasonic that is great in a 12' X 35' room with a 92" standard white screen.

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
I had a similar quandry while compiling all of my components. I had settled on the Samsung 61", then went with a front projector at the last minute. I've only hooked up the projector for testing, but the picture was all I had hoped it would be.
My front row will be a little closer than yours at about 9'. With a HDprojector and screen of 80" you could easily be 9' and have no ill effects of being too close.
If you are looking for a dedicated HT room, do the FP, if you are doing a room that will be used for other such things, ie. Video games, casual TV watching, entertaining, I'd do the RP.
My choice was about decor. I wanted a theater, and to do that I needed a projector.

Scott_Bry

Auditioning
OK, you guys sold me on the projector . . . now what type of screen should I look at. White or Gray? Actual screen material or the paint on type?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The screen color depends on the projector you get. But, if you will be watching projector with some lights on, you will probably want a gray screen.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

Well there you go again...opening up a major can of worms.....but I digress. It seems that there are as many options in screens as there are projectors and alas I have no recommendation as far as screens go...I'm not to that point yet.

I had planned on a DIY screen to save some cash and also for the pride factor and in a surprising switch my wife says to me "hey why don't you get one of those automatic retracting screens that would be kinda cool" Gotta love her. ;. I have been doing a lot of searching here for screen advice and I'm learning that asking what type of screen to get is a lot like asking what TV should I buy....the choice seems to be rather subjective.

Brian.....nice projector. I am looking at the Panny AE900 or the Epson 550 just haven't decided yet. But I've got time on my side (for now anyway).

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

you might have meant "with" some lights on, a brighter projector with a gained(depending on where the lights are) or gray screen can help fight ambient light.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Front projection is a challenge to do but it's also easier than you think...I'll never go back. Love it!

Scott_Bry

Auditioning
OK . . . now a really tricky ans subjective question . . . which projector would be prefered, the BenQ 7700 or the Panasonic AE 900 U?

Anyone demo'd both, or seen a review comparing the two?

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Scott try this on for size maybe this will help? I have not run a side by side of the two nor have I been able to look at either one yet but have been doing a lot of reading at this forum..

There seems to be a lot of owner input both good and bad so it appears to be a well rounded view of the particular projector that you are reading on.

I hope to find a dealer that I can A/B or maybe something like that. I would hate to order sight unseen....but who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks