What's new

Front Tower's Irregular Placement (1 Viewer)

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
Speakers - Aged but going strong Infinity Alpha 50 Tower's, 37c Center, 20 Surrounds and Valodyne Subwoofer.

Due to our livingroom's shape the front l/r towers are approximately 4' apart. By necessity the fronts are each placed less than a foot away from our 46" HDTV. Each front is toed inward. The center is placed in the entertainment center four inches directly below the HDTV. All speakers are shielded. My viewing position is 9' 5" directly in front and my wife's is 8' (at a slight angle). Yes, obviously an odd setup but making the best of a room not designed for audio/video.

With all of that stated should I adjust the front towers audio settings in some special way to compensate for their closeness to each other, the HDTV and center channel?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
There is no “audio setting” that can compensate for the speakers’ relative proximity to each other. However, you might try reducing or eliminating the L/R speaker’s toe-in. It might help the soundstage seem broader.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
Thanks for your help Wayne.

Attached are two photos. One shows the setup within the room (older equipment). Another shows a close head on view with the towers not towed in. I removed the center via speaker setup and the front l/r seem to cover for the removed center. The subwoofer is back of the cabinet facing out from the wall. This positioning is again due to the room. Since the sub is in such a bad location I have the front towers set to large.

New Questions - Should the fronts be set back to be in alignment with the HDTV or set forward in alignment with the cabinet top front edge or does it make any difference? Regardless of the subs position should the front towers be reset to small.

Thanks for your help. I look forward to your comments and suggestions. With such a room any relocation ideas will be appreciated.

Attachments

• Photo #3.jpg
    Photo #3.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 31
  • fronts aligned with cabinet top.jpg
    fronts aligned with cabinet top.jpg
    813.8 KB · Views: 34

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why not move your right speaker to where the right surround is(which should be behind the seating on the right anyway). Then slide the stand to the right, leaving left where it is...

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
schan1269 said:
Why not move your right speaker to where the right surround is(which should be behind the seating on the right anyway). Then slide the stand to the right, leaving left where it is...
Then what about the center which I assume would be needed since the fronts have relocated? Also what happens to the audio being in sync/line with the video?

Thanks for your suggestions.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Louisp said:
Then what about the center which I assume would be needed since the fronts have relocated? Also what happens to the audio being in sync/line with the video?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Don't know why you set center "off" to begin with.

Your AVR has bass management and time correction. That is why it wants to know distance to each speaker.

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
For your suggestion let's ignore the center channel off option. Consider it on.

I now understand the merit of your suggestion but due to this rooms wacky shape and open concept there is no location for the surrounds. Yet another issue. I may try your idea in a 3.1 setup. That will happen next week. I'll update you.

Thanks schan1269.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.