front suggestions

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Eric Teeter, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Eric Teeter

Eric Teeter Auditioning

Hello, I am looking for some suggestions from the forum here for a good set of fronts and a subwoofer to build my HT theater around. I already an old set of floor speakers that I am going to use for my rears. I will add a center channel later as I can. I am also going to update my receiver later on.

Please let me know what you think would be a good sub and set of fronts in the $750-$900 range.

I have looked up and down the forum and see speaker suggestions but they usually don't say how much they run and when I look them up they may cost $1200 which is beyond my budget.

Also someone told me about some Atlantic Technology T70 surround system on sale for $549. Would that system be worthwhile or would I be better served to go with the floor standing fronts with a better sub? If anybody has any experience with the Atlantics let me know.

Thanks for the suggestions.

2. Justin_D

Justin_D Stunt Coordinator

Will this be more for music or movies?

3. Eric Teeter

Eric Teeter Auditioning

Probably about 40% music, 40% movies, and 20% gaming.

4. Justin_D

Justin_D Stunt Coordinator

You may want to check Axiom audio for the speakers. I havn't personally heard them, but they are supposed to be quite good. Athena and JBL are 2 possibilities also, and you can audition those at Best Buy. They also carry the popular Klipsch. Those seem to be love 'em or hate 'em speakers around here. I went with Polk Audio, who Circuit City carries, and I havn't looked back since. These can be love 'em or hate 'em too, almost the opposite of Klipsch it seems. I really enjoy these.

For subs, Klipsch is good to look into. I like Velodyne more, but thats my personal preference. I'm not sure what you can get from SVS with that budget, but if you can, I would get one from there if possible.