What's new

Front speakers, $500 (1 Viewer)

I need a new set of front speakers to replace my current speakers, which are '70's wharfdales. I was thinking about the Magnepan MMG. Any other suggestions in around the $500 mark?

Morgan_

Stunt Coordinator
I'd get these beauties from Axiom, the M60's. They are nice, and they use a titanium tweeter made by Vifa. I love Vifa tweeters, they have stunning detail. $900 for the pair of M60's.

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator
In that price range it was hard for me to go past the Ascend 340s ($548pr). Having owned these for a while my opinion on them continues to grow with every listen. Later on if you add an excellent subwoofer like my Hsu STF-2 you will imo have a really nice sounding package.

PC

NickYours

Auditioning
Check out B&W & Paradigm.

B&W 601's - 450pr
602's - 600pr *recommended*

Paradigm Monitor 3's - 479pr
Monitor 5's - 579pr

I would have bought the 602's if I didn't want floor standers (I got the 603's). I know they are a little more than your budget, but you can probably get a 10% discount and they are worth it. Any of these would make you happy though I think.

Max F

Second Unit
Magnepan MMG: Those really do sound intriguing.:emoji_thumbsup:

Have you listened to those yet?

unfortuantely I have never seen a set in person. However, judging by the reviews I've read, I don't think I will be disappointed :D

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Boston Acoustics VRB 500$/pair. The others in this thread are also worth investigating. I'm partial to the Paradigms and B&Ws as well as the Bostons, but that's personal preference. Auditioning is the only way to choose.

Brian_Fly

Stunt Coordinator
It would be hard for me to not get some Klipsch SF-2's at $200 each. I haven't heard them, but I think I could find a use for some efficient towers somewhere. Morgan- Axiom M60's for $500? I had no idea.

Max F

Second Unit
Dude go for the Magnepan MMG and let us know how they are.

My wife would kill me if i got those... she goes for the less discrete approach. Oh well, i bet they're pretty awsome. Just make sure you get yourself a musical sub or build yourself one.:emoji_thumbsup:

yeah, I've decided to go with the MMG's... I'll be sure to make an attempt to write a review :emoji_thumbsup: lol...

anyways, since the magnepans are all technically dipole, I was thinking a dipole arangement with 4 12" subs would be sweet. 2 on each side, and mount the maggies on top. Now, to find some CHEAP sheilded 12" subs...

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Your first instinct is correct...the MMG are the class of that price range. However, they wouldn't necessarily be the best choice to mate with an existing center channel or to fill a huge space. They also require an amp which can handle a 4-ohm load with aplomb.

Now you're talking.

http://home.comcast.net/~dreite/MMG/IMG_0455.JPG

Dipole bass has the clearest, "quickest", most "room-free" sound, but doesn't go too deep (short of extraordinary measures) due to the very cancellations that give it the aforementioned qualities. Ideally, you'd cross over to a monopole sub down really low.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I went with the MMGs in October after having to sell my beloved Paradigm Studio 100s and 20s. For $550 and a return policy, I felt I couldn't go wrong. The amps I had in house already were Outlaw Audio M200 monoblocks (300w into 4ohms), so I felt I had plenty of power on tap....Anyway, they sounded pretty darn good out of the box, with plenty of detail and accuracy. Now that they are good and broken in, the only way I'll part with them is if they're replaced with larger Magnepans (which they hopefully will be after tax refund day). There are four main things to consider with these speakers:

First, you need to expect that they will not sound their best ouf of the box....you need to break them in over time.

Second, placement is very important. When listening to them, try to have them at least three feet from the front wall and away from the side walls. They are very easy to move around, so once you find the spot where they sound their best, just figure out a way to discretely mark it and you can keep them out of the way when not in use.

Third, they are very responsive to good, clean power. This is one brand of speakers where it can actually make sense to have electronics that are more expensive than the speakers.

Fourth, don't let anyone tell you they are not good for HT. I LOVE them for HT. The few times when I began a movie and thought to myself that something was missing, I turned up the volume a little and they came to life. You can turn it up without them really being much "louder", if that makes any sense.

Anyway, everyone has different tastes.....but to me these speakers are little gems.

PS. If you end up liking them, consider the MMG-Ws for surrounds.....they are only $299 direct from Magnepan and they also come with a return policy. I have not heard the matching MMG-C center speaker because I run my HT in phantom mode.

Eric:F

Stunt Coordinator
is that $500/pair or $500 each?
for a mix of ht and music salk audio is a terrific value.
http://www.salksound.com/htshome.html
the HTS-MT would fit your $ range.
i like the sound of maggies, but the waf and lack of punch for movie soundtracks make them tough for ht.
i wanted a ribbon tweeter for highs and a superb midrange driver for dialog. (i have an svs sub for the bass.)
Jim Salk is a pleasure to work with, he designs your speakers with custom xovers, world class components and beautiful cabinets.
from start to finish, the experience is fun and the product is superb.
on top of that, he has a $ back guaranty, you can't lose.
best,
eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks