Front speaker setup help needed

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Cesar*P, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Cesar*P

Cesar*P Extra

Hey everyone, newbie here that needs some help getting the best sound from the two mains and center channel. First here's my setup:

Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5550
    Mains: JBL S-26
    Center: JBL S-Center
    Sub: Sony SA-WM40

I was wondering how I can make the aforementioned speakers sound more balanced. It seems like the center channel overbears the mains. For example, if a phone is ringing in a movie and the phone is on the left side of the screen it still seems like the center channel is getting most of the sound reproduction done. I would think the main left speaker would reproduce the sound of the phone ring the most. I've set all speakers to Small on the receiver. Please give me any tips on how I can improve the sound reproduction of my speakers so that it can sound more balanced. Thanks.

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I'm not sure why you're saying the speakers aren't balanced.

Are the left and right speakers set equal distance from the main sitting area?

Is the center speaker about the same height as the main left and right pair??

Are you sure everything is set to small? are the levels matched(with a meter)?

B

3. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

I'm not familiar with your receiver, but most 5.1 receivers have seperate levels for each speaker. There are calibration DVD discs (Avia and Video Essentials) that produce "noise" in each channel individually. With a radio shack SPL meter, you measure the decibel level coming from each speaker one at a time and adjust each one so that you get the same db level from each speaker. This is what will "balance" the sound. Check your manual. If you don't want to get the SPL meter or disc, most receivers also have a built in test-tone. The receiver produces noise from each speaker one at a time and you can adjust the levels by ear (always measure/judge from the main listening position). Also, make sure your DVD player and Receiver are both set to output DD or 5.1 sound. It can also depend on the movie and what the sound mix is. It could have been a "mono" mix or just poorly mixed, but I doubt it.

I'd bet the levels for your speakers are not properly balanced or the receiver or DVD player is not set to output properly.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

5. Cesar*P

Cesar*P Extra

Alright guys, thanks for your replies. I might consider getting the Avia disk and SPL meter.