Front Speaker Setup/ 3 centers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Domonic A, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Domonic A

Domonic A Stunt Coordinator

Domonic Ableidinger
    I am still debateing between the Energy Connoisseur C-C3 or the B&W LCR600 S3. I am going to be using the room for mainly movies.

Is it a wise choice to use 3 centers up front or 1 center and 2 bookshelves? I have been told that I will get a much better experience using three centers.

2. Domonic A

Domonic A Stunt Coordinator

Domonic Ableidinger
    I am still debateing between the Energy Connoisseur C-C3 or the B&W LCR600 S3. I am going to be using the room for mainly movies.

Is it a wise choice to use 3 centers up front or 1 center and 2 bookshelves? I have been told that I will get a much better experience using three centers.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Three centers – assuming they are a woofer-tweeter-woofer arrangement - will have a tightly focused soundstage. That would be fine if you’re the only viewer, but if you view with other people, it might not be the best choice.

Personally I’d go with only one center, or three bookshelf speakers.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Three centers – assuming they are a woofer-tweeter-woofer arrangement - will have a tightly focused soundstage. That would be fine if you’re the only viewer, but if you view with other people, it might not be the best choice.

Personally I’d go with only one center, or three bookshelf speakers.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

FYI: Dolby's 5.1-Channel Production Guidelines recommends ...

So, ideally, all the HT speakers should be identical.

Due to the decorator police (WAF/SAF), then at the very least identical speakers for the Fronts, Side and Rear Surround locations w/timbre-matched center speaker.

Read Dr. Floyd Toole entire Loudspeakers and Rooms for Multichannel Audio Reproduction white paper (Part 1 of 3) for a complete loudspeaker(s) vs. room discussion.

Hope this helps,
    Phil

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

FYI: Dolby's 5.1-Channel Production Guidelines recommends ...

So, ideally, all the HT speakers should be identical.

Due to the decorator police (WAF/SAF), then at the very least identical speakers for the Fronts, Side and Rear Surround locations w/timbre-matched center speaker.

Read Dr. Floyd Toole entire Loudspeakers and Rooms for Multichannel Audio Reproduction white paper (Part 1 of 3) for a complete loudspeaker(s) vs. room discussion.

Hope this helps,
    Phil

7. DavidNighorn

DavidNighorn Stunt Coordinator

I would (and did) go with three bookshelf speakers. The center speaker is an aesthetic compromise to allow for placement below or above a display. The problem is that it changes the dispersion pattern as opposed to the right and left speakers. Most folks won't notice, but once they do, they cannot ignore it.

David

8. DavidNighorn

DavidNighorn Stunt Coordinator

I would (and did) go with three bookshelf speakers. The center speaker is an aesthetic compromise to allow for placement below or above a display. The problem is that it changes the dispersion pattern as opposed to the right and left speakers. Most folks won't notice, but once they do, they cannot ignore it.

David