What's new

front speaker set to "small" or "large" w/ subwoofer attached? (1 Viewer)

tonyKwok

Stunt Coordinator
What is the general consensus on this setup? I am using 2 towers for my fronts (sansui) and a Dayton 10" sub. Should I set my fronts as "small" in my Denon 1905 menu? What are the advantages/disadvantages in setting them as "large"?

thanks
tony

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Tony,

Definately set them to "small". If set to "large", the 1905 will direct the frequencies (meant for the front) below the crossover both to the sub and the towers simultaniously. This can result in interference between the two. It can manifest itself as "beats" in what sould be smooth bass. When the towers are set to "small", the 1905 will subtract all frequencies below the crossover from the towers, and pipe them all directly to the sub. Besides the fact that your sub is better suited to reproduce low frequencies, they will now be coming from a single source, vastly reducing the possibility of interference (of course, there are also reflections to consider, but the best way to minimize them is to experiment with placement). Hope this helps!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Set as small, and as low as 60hz on the cross over... That is how I am running these days. That way, still lots of bass will be output to them, and the LFE will still be way strong.

darrylCHER

Stunt Coordinator
Your topic heading made it sound as though the sub is connected with speaker wire from the receiver, and then to the tower speakers?? ("speaker level")

Or, did you use a coaxial cable to connect the sub and then speaker wire from the receiver to the towers?? ("line level")

Speaker level connection: Large, sub set to "no"/"off"

Line level connection: Small, x-over @ 60-80hz, sub set to "on"/"yes"

Darryl

tonyKwok

Stunt Coordinator
my setup is as follows:

-Line Level connection from receiver to sub

-Front speakers directly connect to receiver

-Front speakers set to "Small" w/ Sub "On" @ 80 xover

That's pretty standard right?

tony

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
That is exactly what I am running, but this weekend I may lower the x-over to 60Hz tonight and see how it sounds (per John's reccomendation).....:)

tonyKwok

Stunt Coordinator
so when I lower the x-over to 60hz, does that mean more LFE will go into the sub sooner? If so, I might give it a shot also.

tony

darrylCHER

Stunt Coordinator
You got it Tony. :) But don't hesitate to experiment with the x-over setting in your receiver (if it's adjustable) to find which setting sounds best to you, in your room.

The room itself has a huge effect on the systems acoustics, and no two rooms are completely alike.

Darryl

P.S. Man you guy's type fast!

When you set the x-over to any setting on your receiver, it only redirects the bass of the main speakers that are set to "small".

So a 60hz x-over will send a little more bass to the 5/7 main speakers than a 80hz setting will. And a little less bass to the sub.

All frequencies below the x-over point are sent to the sub, BUT the LFE channel still runs full range to the sub (10hz-120hz) no matter what x-over setting you select!!

If your mains can handle more bass than you might consider the 60hz setting.

tonyKwok

Stunt Coordinator
there is also a x-over knob on my sub. Should I set that to match whatever x-over setting I have on my receiver? I know I've read a thread on this board that might've suggested this. Any opinion on this?

tony

darrylCHER

Stunt Coordinator
Tony,

I edited my post above, so check out my P.S. ;)

Turn your x-over on the sub all the way up so it doesn't come into play with the x-over in your receiver.

If you have a x-over bypass input on the sub, use that.

Darryl

John S

Senior HTF Member
yes.. xover at it's highest setting if you do not have the option to just have it out of the chain.

As said, if you want to use those 8" and 10" woofs, lowering to 60hz will use their virtues, and put less strain on the sub, but a little more strain the amps / AVR being used.

tonyKwok

Stunt Coordinator
i'm using a Dayon 10" w/o the x-over bypass option on the sub. The maximum I can go on the sub is 160Hz on the x-over knob. So I should just dial it all the way up to 160Hz on the sub and adjust the x-over on my receiver instead to get the optimal bass + LFE?

tony

darrylCHER

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, turn the sub's dial to 160hz, that way it's "out of the way" of the receiver's internal x-over.

Darryl

John S

Senior HTF Member
I think you will be pleased if you have 8" or 10" low end drivers in your mains and/or surrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks