front speaker placement/ glare on speakers

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Larry*S, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Larry*S

Larry*S Agent

CUrrently, My front speakers are to the right/ left of the screen. (front projection, speakers on stands).
    I find it annoying when watching movies, there is a glare of the speaker. WOuld it be ok to put the front speakers closer to the floor, so it wont cause a glare, and angle them upwards, or will this screw up the sound? My only other option is to move the speakers further away from the screen (towards the seats). The room is too narrow, so I cant spread them out anymore.

any suggestions?

larry

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well pulling the speakers INTO the room is actually considered a better placement acoustically speaking. Some people measure the distance to the tweeter on the center speaker, then pull the L/R speakers into the room to match that distance.

Is your center below the screen? If so, it would be a superior placement to get your L/center/R speakers all at the same level and pointing upwards slightly. This way you have no breaks in the soundfield as effects pan around.

The other thing you might try is some black, acoustically-transparent cloth (like many speaker grills are covered with) and drape some over each speaker. The cloth is usually a dull-black so it would reduce/eliminate glare. Try a speaker building place like www.partsexpress.com or others for this cloth. (no, the local fabric store wont be able to point out acoustically-transparent cloth - I've tried. And now I'm banned [​IMG] )

Hope this helps.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I actually painted my Athena B1's flat black. I removed the drivers and masked off the front. Hate the silver. Things will be better when I paint the stupid silver Toshiba, too.

Not too big of a deal on a $75 dollar speaker, but I don't think I'd spray paint anything nicer.