Front speaker distance

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Nick Breckon, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Nick Breckon

Nick Breckon Stunt Coordinator

I'm wondering what you guys do as far as the distance your fronts are from eachother. Right now I have my Paradigm 40's about 6 feet apart and toed in to the sweet spot, and they sound great, but I read a Dolby guide that recommends 10-12 feet apart or 45 degrees. It's hard for me to get any further apart as my receiver stand is in the way and can't be moved (damn short component/DVI cables), but would it be worth the effort to experiment with a wider angle? Isn't there a point where the sound seems to be coming from off-camera then?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    They should be about as far apart as you sit away from them, further for a wider soundstage. IMO, they should not be pointed directly at the listener, but rather should converge slightly behind the listening position, but what works will vary from room to room. Placement is very important and takes a lot of experimentation to dial in. My speakers are very similar to 40s and I have them about 8' apart.

3. Bill Leahy

Bill Leahy Agent

What if having them the same distance seperated as away from the listening position means that they are near or very close to the side walls. Would that be alright? Also on many sites I see pictures of peoples speakers and they are right up against their tvs.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Putting the speakres right next to anything will affect the sound, and walls are the worst case. Toe them so they will not be reflecting directly off the walls though, and it should be OK. My speakers end up being somewhat close to the walls, which I don't like, but they first reflection is well behind the listener.

Having your speakers right next to a TV, even a large RPTV, is still too close together, and not in the best interest of sound. IMO, these people don't know, don't get it, or don't care.

5. Bill Leahy

Bill Leahy Agent

John, thanks for the reply.I have a room that is 18 x 11 and use an Energy 5.2 system with 2 subs. One is the 8'Energy sub and the other is a 10' old Kenwood. I am trying very hard to find the right configuration for my system to give it a fair evaluation. I am really leaning towards an upgrade ( Axioms ), but with my room size, I would love to appreciate these Energys. I can get these sat. fronts about 9ft apart and still have them about 6 inches away from side walls. Do you recommend this? Thanks for your help!

6. Keith Hyde

Keith Hyde Stunt Coordinator

I try to steer away from this and would generally agree that my experience is maximized at the 10-12 feet apart/45 degree seperation approximation. Having your mains right up on your TV takes much away from surround effects IMO and shrinks the soundstage on music playback. It also renders a center channel almost pointless. Choirs sing together, but they don't sing ear to ear. A nice balance of individual speaker voices and balance is what's needed to my ear.

Grab a kitchen chair (easily moveable) and put it in your main listening postion (if its a couch, well just put it right in front of it). Clear all the stuff out of the room you can to maximize floor space (tables, plants, recliners, etc. Dim the lights some. Now start dragging around your speakers. Return to the sweet spot. Play with your levels. Finesse your speaker aim. Evaluate. Reposition. Reevaluate. I think if you do this long enough you will arrive at your ideal setup in a night or two.

Good luck. Dialing in is usually the most rewarding part.

7. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

I have my Paradigm Monitor 7's about 10 ft apart and slightly toed in with a laser pointer (shooting right behind the main listener). The M7's are fairly close to the walls (2ft x 2ft) but this is the way I like it (better bass response). I'm also not using a perfect triangle, I'm probably 13ft away but to me this sounds best.

Go with what sounds best to you. Do this in the dark as suggested above. I don't think there is one perfect way to setup all speakers. All rooms and speakers are different in sound and character.

All this advice for a HT n00b. Oh well, this place taught me alot these past few months [​IMG].

8. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Find your Niche, and leave them[​IMG] If it sounds great, so be it..you've found it! drop me a line sometime Nick..when that SVS arrives[​IMG] tom

9. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

Pictures from speaker makers that you find on websites and in catalogs are often depict suboptimal arrangements. They are trying to present their product in the most aesthetically pleasing way, so they sometimes put the speakers right next to the TV.

Keith, John and the others are right.

10. Shad R

Shad R Supporting Actor

Mine are a few inches away from the tv, no complaints here. Can't spread out speakers more than that, though. the room is very small.