Front Speaker and Sub, how close is too close?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John S Smith, Jan 15, 2002.

1. John S Smith

John S Smith Agent

Can I run a powered sub directly underneath a front speaker?

Sub would be below a 2'high shelf (actually it is an open cabinet) that speaker is standing on. I really don't want to see the sub (sorry if that is heresy in this group).

Don't have a sub yet, but need to build the cabinet now, recommendations for store bought and DIY versions appreciated, I like tight fast bass, no mush, needs to work well with Studio 40's in a very bright room. Don't have any experience with subs or HT but do know clean bass when I hear it. Thanks;

..john

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

How about Adire's low Q design for a sealed down firing Tempest. Keep a 200-230L volume, change the dimensions so it will fit nicely under the shelf. Finish it so it looks like part of the shelf and people won't even know it is there.

3. John S Smith

John S Smith Agent

Dustin

Thanks,what about interference with/from fronts or is that not a problem? I would try to keep power supply to sub amp away from front speaker wires as best I can.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I don't think it would be a problem.

If you think it might be, just don't mount the plate amp in the box, or get a seperate 1 or 2 ch amp (maybe a pro audio one) and keep that away from your speakers. Just have binding posts on the sub box.