What's new

Front Projector (1 Viewer)

Ted_C

Agent
Starting to set up my home theater. Looking for advice on which front projector to get. Are there reviews set up anywhere that I can look at? Possibly on this site? I would like to spend between 3 to 4 thousand dollars. Can someone give me the run down on what would make a great projector in that price range. What are the technologies that make a great projector in that price range? Looking for a punch list if possible. The room where I am setting this up is 13' across if that makes any difference. Are there new technologies on the horizon that would warrent me waiting a few months?

Thanks
Ted

Ted_C

Agent
Thanks for that.
I was looking in the display devices section under a fairly new post regarding a new sony cineza hs20 thats coming out in november that happens to be in my price range. Can anyone give me there opinion regarding this projector in relation to the other questions I have posted?

Thanks

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have not seen it personally. The HS10, its predecessor looks great, especially for the money and the inprovements made on the HS20... higher light output, micro lens array (MLA), higher contrast ratio, and all for ~$3K make it a really interesting projector to consider. If I was looking for a 3K machine today, I would probably opt for it.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Neil, and others...stat-wise, would you take the IF 7200 over the hs20? Just making sure the hs20 doesn't have some cutting edge tech making it a better choice than the IF7200. thanks! 3C

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The IF7200 and the HS20. Whew!! The fact that the HS20 can be mentioned in the sam breath as the much more expensive 7200 is a real credit to the HS20.

Two good projectors but in different price brackets. I think the Infocus 7200 is about twice the price of the HS20. Seriously, if I were buying today, I would choose the HS20 and divert the remaining funds to something else.

The HS20 has MLA and slightly more pixels so the screendoor effect, or lack of it, is on an even level with the 7200.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Panny will be coming out with their PT-500u soon. I have a 200u and love the PQ of this machine. The 500u will ballpark in the neighborhood of $1,700 or so.

Peace Out~:D

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Here are the specs for both of those projectors...

Sony HS20
Infocus 7200

They are both close in contrast ratio according to the specs, which don't mean everything BTW but the Sony will appear obviously brighter. Both have digital inputs but the one thing the 7200 can do is accept 1080p signals.

Ted_C

Agent
Somebody needs to come up with a list of all components in a projector and then seperate them by price. Some that I have come accross as a newby are

DLP
LCD
Aspect ratio
Lumens
Pixels
HD
Resolution
and on and on

Can anyone give me a list of projectors that will have the most options for the money.

JackLonn

Agent
I just received my NEC HT1000 ($3,995) and spend just a little time with it last night. WOW. I quickly shoved my RPTV out of the way and projected a 95" picture (4:3) on the wall. I blew me away. I started to watch FSOR for about the 15th time and couldn't get over how much I'd been missing on my 55" Tosh. I'm very happy with the NEC, it's gotten great reviews so... Of course, I also ordered in time for the $500 rebate or free anamorphic lens from NEC.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Thanks Neil...I was looking at them so many times, I figured I didn't want to overlook anything..specs are just that...specs:)

Jack..I JUST sold my rptv 20 minutes ago and delivered it (16 stairs, and 2 guys whew) and was wondering if I'd liss it, but you made me smile as I believe it'll be close to if not better than my mitsu 55" picture no matter which I choose...anyone here use a xbox at all on these machines? Hope it looks ok:) Thanks guys! 3C

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Neil, have you done any testing or came across any good electric screens from da lite or stewart in that 100" range? Its tough chooosing when you can't see it here:) I feel as though the screen will darn near hit the ground with 8' ceilings...that isn't good for 16x9...how does everyone get around this...most don't have 12 foot celings...grr:)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The 100" is the diagonal measurement of the 16x9 screen so an 8 foot ceiling is not a problem. The vertical height of a 100" 16:9 screen would be a little more than 4 ft. (Measurements ~ 88" wide x 49.5" high)

I have a 7.5 foot ceiling in my HT and it accommodates my 110" Stewart screen very nicely (A StudioTek 130).

A 110" 16x9 screen has picture dimensions of 8 feet wide by 4.5 feet high (96" x 54"), Like I said, no problem at all with an 8 foot ceiling.

Check my HT site for some pictures to see how this all fits in.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
I'll be first...sorry Ted:) The top guns right now in that price range are the panny 500, sony hs20, and the sanyo z2...for a bit more, you open up to the ht1000 (4x3), infocus 5700 and a few others. projectorcentral.com has some good info...but not much about screens from what I could get out of it for the IF7200. I believe there is a big shoot-out this weekend at another forum(from a few members testing these 3-5k projectors...could get some good feedback there also) 3C

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks