What's new

Front Projector Screen In Front Of RPTV?? (1 Viewer)

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I will put CC speaker in front of RPTV with screen down, and back on top of RPTV when watching that!!
Depending on your CC speaker and other setup attributes, you may notice a definitive sound improvement with the speaker in front of the TV - reduced reflections! It worked for me.

Doug

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
I'm doing the same thing! Just finished all the wiring/drywall work with an in-ceiling pull-down screen installed (DaLite 106 diag) in front of my old SDTV. I'm building a set of shelves/stand so the TV will be on top, hidden behind the screen when down and the center channel will be just below the TV and screen. Down the road, I intend to replace the old TV with a larger DLP or LCD table-top unit like the Samsung 61" or Sony 60", but for now I am working hard on getting a good FPTV system up. I'll also add a STB for HDTV or SDTV to the projector at some point. Right now, all I am working towards is DVD viewing on it.

When it's further along (paint, flooring, etc., I'll post some photos!

"Regluar TV" for everyday viewing and a BIG screen for movies. Best of both worlds!! A nod to Neil Joseph who recommended this approach to me a couple of months ago.

Gordon

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
I hang a fixed DIY screen in front of my 53" Sony KP-53HS10 RPTV when I'm using my front projector. I have a wall unit around my RPTV and the screen hangs from that via L-brackets. This design also allows me to place the center channel speaker on top of the wall unit rather than under the screen.

Here's a picture of the screen (before it was completely finished) hanging from the wall unit. This was also taken before I put the center channel on top of the wall unit. I'll post more current pictures when I get home this evening. The screen is very light and easy to move, so I just take it down and store it in a second bedroom when I'm not using it.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Cool thread. If you're using a 16x9 screen (which I HOPE you do...bad 4x3 screen...BAD!), you should be seated about 1.5 to 1.75 screen-widths away to get the best "pixel free" picture with a DLP projector.

With LCOS you might be able to sit a tad closer without seeing "screen door".

BTW, for anyone thinking of buying a new PJ but not needing it for the next 10 months or so...Sony has just announced a full HD 1920 x 1080 LCOS-based projector that has been rumored to give excellent blacks and a real-world CR of around 2500:1 in the working prototype that has been seen by a member at AVS.

All of the 16x9 DLP HD1/2 units out there have 1280 x 720 pixels...Sony's full 1080 machine would have more than *double* that! Also, LCOS means no screen-door (visible pixel structure) and no rainbows due to 3-chip technology.

Anyway...it's the projector that I'm waiting to see!

I also plan to have a drop-down screen. Probably motorized if I can afford it (would like something like the Stuart Firehawk).

-dave

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If that new Sony LCOS comes down to a couple of thousand, I will be replacing my old Sony 11HT.

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
I also plan to have a drop-down screen. Probably motorized if I can afford it (would like something like the Stuart Firehawk).
My thoughts, exactly. That is until I started pricing them! :)

I ended up with a very nice in-ceiling manual pull-down screen for $1500 less than the electric version. I figured if I put $5 in a jar every time I pulled the thing down, after 300 pulls, I'd have another $1500. :D

Gordon

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I've posted the rest of the pictures I promised for those interested. This picture is of the screen with its black trim installed and the center channel speaker on top, and this picture is of the brackets on the back of the screen that are used to hang the screen from the top of the wall unit.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Greg, that is a unique attachment technique. Looks like your screen would be very light as well.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Greg:

our setup is so similar. If I had not used my loft I would have done the same with the screen.

Looks great.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks