Front Projector Screen In Front Of RPTV??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alan Pummill, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

This is a copy of my post in the RPTV vs. FPTV thread currently on this forum. Hoping to get some good input from people who have tried this, or who switched from RPTV to FPTV!! TIA!!

I'm also thinking about buying a Front Projector. BUT, I want to keep my fairly new Pioneer Elite PRO-620HD, which has been ISF calibrated. We do watch quit a bit of standard def cable.

Question, and I may need to start a new thread on this!
    What are the chances that I could somehow install a retractable screen that would come down in front of my RPTV?

I am thinking that I may need to do some remodeling to my room to accomplish this. (Please see my HT Pics, that stupid support pole is a real nuisance!)

I want the FP mainly for DVD, HD, and sporting events!! I'm thinking that I could roll my RPTV out from the wall when watching it, as my seating would probably be further back than my current 10'.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I know for a fact that there are several members that have done this. Question 1: What is your seating distance from your RPTV?

3. Alan Pummill

Neil, currently about 9.5'. The RPTV is out about 1' out from front wall. Room dimensions are 20'W X 24'L.

Another question I have is how far back from the screen does a FP need to be to fill a 100" diagonal screen??

4. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

5. Alan Pummill

Thanks Doug, and BTW, nice system you have there!!

Yes, I had visualized the vertical center being higher for th FP.

6. MichaelFusick

MichaelFusick Second Unit

That is ok.

You want eye level for FP 1/3rd up from the bottom of the screen,

Not centered like RPTV.

I recently switched from RPTV to FP...

There is no comparision...

FP all the way!!!

7. Alan Pummill

Again, let me state that we watch standard def cable quite a bit. I want the BIG PICTURE effect when watching DVD or HD, but for everyday viewing, my RPTV does an excellent job. I don't think I would enjoy watching standard def. on a 100" diagonal screen!!

Hey, I have to justify the expense of that Elite you know.[​IMG]

8. MichaelFusick

MichaelFusick Second Unit

Actually.....

4:3 looks better on FP.

Atleast I think so...no stretching is sweet. and, No burn in.

9. Alan Pummill

If that were the case, why did I buy an Elite RPTV?

I don't think a FP could look as good on standard def. as my Elite.

Opinions please! This is an important issue to the wife and I. Hell, if it IS true, I have an ISF calibrated Elite for sale!! (Just kidding, I think!!):b

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

11. Alan Pummill

Thanks all!

After the promised remodeling to our upstairs bathroom, this will be my next project. That will give me plenty of time to look and research! I will have the best of both worlds when complete. HDFP and HDRP!!

12. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

13. stevie v

stevie v Auditioning

i use a 106" 16:9 screen w/sony vpl-hs10 in front of a sony kv36xbr450 4:3 hd tv.
    the 36 isn't getting much use now that i went from my old sharp xvz1-u vga pj to this awesome new sony wxga 1366x768 pj.
    avman.

14. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I am working on a similar setup. My plan is to either:

1. Get a roll down screen mounted in front of the RPTV. This has the advantage of disappearing almost completely when not in use. The disadvantage is that getting a tensioned roll down is expensive. Roll downs without tension are prone to waves and shadows.

2. Get a fixed screen that I lower into place on some sort of pully system. This is a lot cheaper than the tensioned roll down, but has the disadvantage of being rather looming when not in use.

15. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

Also, don't forget about your center channel. From your pics, it is currently on top of your RPTV. That probably means you will need an acoustically-perforated screen to allow the center channel to come thru the screen clearly. As far as I know, I haven't seen any DIY perf. screens, and getting a perf. screen reduces your choice of materials somewhat from DaLite and Stewart. Just something to keep in mind when going with the dual setup.

16. Alan Pummill

Thanks Scott. Yes, I had already thought of that. This will take a while to get done as I am currently planning to remodel our upstairs bathroom first.

I stopped by a local dealer yesterday and looked at several projectors, my mouth is watering...slurp!!

17. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Regarding the centre channel placement, I would personally mount it on a stand below the screen to avoid using a perfed screen, which may introduce moire on the screen when interacting with the projector's pixels.

18. Trev Barton

Trev Barton Extra

I'm actually in the process of doing the exact same thing you are with respect to having a screen coming down in front of my RPTV.If you go for an audio transparent screen you will pay big bucks for a screen that does not produce as good a picture as a lot of the other screen materials out there. All you have to do is put your center speaker on the floor tilted up or have a stand for it when the screen is down. For the sake of having to move your speaker you can get a screen that will produce a better picture.

19. Alan Pummill

OK, Neil and Trev. Great advice. I already have a stand that I can use with the screen down. I will put CC speaker in front of RPTV with screen down, and back on top of RPTV when watching that!!

20. stevie v

stevie v Auditioning

in the setup i described earlier in this thread, i wound up putting my rather large (klipsch c-7 w/2-8"woofers and horn)UNDER my tv on the bottom shelf of my bello tv stand.the 106"16:9 screen comes down right to the top of my center channel. so it works placement-wise for both displays. a 'perfed' screen is very expensive, and can cause picture artifacts w/certain technologies (like lcd).eventually i may have to put my future center channel (single klf-20 w/motorboard mods to 'horizontalise' it)on a low-profile stand in front of my 'stage', or start hacking away at my $$bello$$stand.
    avman.