What's new

front projector questions (1 Viewer)

JasonZ

Agent
a friend of mine just picked up a used sharp xg-e1200u lcd projector for $400 (i am so jealous!).
he has asked me for help setting it up. i know a lot about home theater but absolutely nothing about front projectors. i believe that this is a very nice unit but i do not see how to connect component video hook-ups to it. there is a 5 video input (rgb or something??) but i have no idea how this connects.
it also has standard connections that you would normally connect a computer to, would this be the best option for connecting the dvd player.
i imagine he will also need some type of screen. what is the cheapest screen (as big as possible

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Do not really know what to tell you as far as the inputs go.
As far as screens go,I would say paint the wall white or a medium grey first,that way he can see what size of screen will work best in his room.
------------------
"And the horse i rode in on?"...Marge Simpson

Steve B

Grip
Paint a wall with Sherwin Williams Flat White if you want a screen that big (200 in?)
The 5 inputs are RGB HV and you can get cable that will take the VGA (output similar to a computer) and terminate with the 5 wires. You can then use this cable to hook up to a HTPC for DVD or a HD receiver (RCA DTC100).
Have Fun!
Steve

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
Try a home made screen before you buy.. For the size he wants, a retail screen could end up costing him more than his projector!!
Step over to the Screens Forum on http://www.avsforums.com for more info.
------------------
Absence of Evidence is NOT Evidence of Absence

Jeff J

Grip
I would definitely check out avs - there is huge post with a ton of DYI screen tips in the screen area.
I should be getting a FP within a week or so - my best temporary screen idea is to use a 8x4 piece of white "foam board" that I found at a local art supply store - the sheet only cost $12.00 and the surface finish seems about right. There are a lot of people that use framed and painted canvas - which will probably be my next step.
You can also check out projector central (here) for projector specs and general info. You might be pushing with a 200" screen. The distance calculator ends up with a throw distance of 23-24 ft for the 200" (diag) - this is probably on the edge of a 600 lumen, 6x8 LCD.
hey, have fun with the projector. and be careful with the world of FP - its easy to get sucked in.
-Jeff

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I ran over to www.projectorcentral.com and invoked the available Projector Database.
Here's the pertinent specs that I found on the XG-E1200U:
* Lumens - 600
* Contrast Ratio - 100:1
* Resolution - 832x624 (SVGA)
* Type - LCD (3 1.3")
* Aspect Ratio(s) - 4:3
A "marginal" HT LCD Projector these days would have the following specs:
* Lumens - 1200
* Contrast Ratio - 350:1
* Resolution - XGA
* Type - LCD (3 1.3")
* Aspect Ratio(s) - 4:3 and 16:9
Your friend should therefore definitely consider this unit to be a "get your feet wet with projectors" system.
Here's what you can do to minimize the limitations of this unit:
* Yes, go with a homemade screen. But keep it between 60-80" in size to help hide the "pincushion" effect from the relatively lo-res LCD panels.
* Since this projector lacks any kind of 16:9 support, be sure to mate it with a DVD player than provides very good anamorphic downconversion. All Sony and Pioneer players provide good enough downconversion as long as the screen size stays in the 60" to 80" area. Whatever you do, don't try to use a Toshiba player with this projector.
* With only a 100:1 contrast ratio, you're going to have a hard time getting any "depth" to your picure. Try running with your brightness control set to the very low end of its range and your contrast control set to the high end of its range. You won't be able to utilize Avia and/or Video Essentials to set up this unit for the most part since it will be unable to pass "pluge". (Actually, even a 400:1 contrast LCD projector can't pass pluge, but it can at least get darn close.) It goes without saying that you'll have to have complete control of ambient light levels.
Tell your friend to consider this a "start-up" HT system and to just have some fun with it!
Joseph

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
What you need is a 'Transcoder', this will allow you to send the signal from s-video/composite or component outputs to the RGBHV (5 seperate inputs) on the projector. The RGBHV is the most desired connection for FPTV, but can get expensive going through the various interfaces to make the connection. If you have a computer with DVD you can get a cable from Best Buy for $50.00 that will make the RBGHV connection. I have used all connections, and choose to use S-Video because it's the easiest and cheapest connection (just keep the distance as short as possible)..
Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks