What's new

Front projector or rear projector? (1 Viewer)

Marcelo_J

Auditioning
I'm shopping for my first HT system and can't decide if I want to get a rear projection TV like the Toshiba 57HDX82 or a front projector like the Panasonic 300U.

Are they both basically the same in that the bulb life in each of them is about 2000 hours and cost $400-500 to replace?

I will mostly use the system for watching regular TV (70%) and sometimes for movies (25%) and Xbox (5%). I get the feeling that I would be able to use the rear projection system as a TV, but the front projector system is only good for movies.

Does anyone use a front projector for just watching regular TV?

I am also currently renting an apartment.

Any advice?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The Panasonic L300U has a bulb life of 5000 hours in the mode that most people use it in. The brightness is slightly reduced but blacks are increased as well. If you want to, you can use it for regular TV watching and such, although personally, I would devote most of the time for Hdef and DVD/LD (movie) watching and maybe some sporting events (just my own personal taste) and maybe throw in some gaming.

Just a side note, educate yourself regarding the possibility of phosphor burn (burn-in) when using CRT devices and game consoles, many of which have static images in their games that can burn permanently in the image of the screen over time. This is a consideration if you decide to go with a RPTV that is crt-based, which most are these days.

Marcelo_J

Auditioning
Thanks Neil.

If I want to watch TV during the day with the sun coming into the room, would the RPTV be brighter and more vibrant than the front projector?

I've read about the burn-in issues. For example, I know that if I watch TV in 4:3 mode on the RPTV, the black bars on the sides may stay there when watching 16:9 stuff. I guess I have to weigh the pros and cons of both systems.

Since I am in an apartment, I won't be able to run cables behind a wall so maybe a RPTV is better suited for me and I'll wait on getting a front projector until I buy a house in a year or two.

Does anyone know of any places in NY or NJ that have front projector demo systems I can look at?

Marcelo_J

Auditioning
Would the Samsung DLP RPTV sets also be subject to burn-in?

I saw one of those at a store and the image was very bright and colorful.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
No, DLP units are not susceptible to burn in. I don't mean to really scare you away from CRT but the possibility of burn-in is there. It may take a couple of years or longer (or even shorter I have seen) and a lot depends on immediately calibrating properly, especially the contrast levels and such.

Marcelo_J

Auditioning
Thanks, that's good to know. What are the cons of DLP?

Can you recommend a good DLP RPTV? Is Samsung the only one that is making them now? I think I saw one on Mitsubishi's site, but I think it's too expensive.

BillyH

Stunt Coordinator
Personaly I feel a front projector is the only way to go. Once you get a truly BIG screen you will not want to go back. For casual viewing keep your old 27 inch set in the living room, but with the lights turned down and the surround sound turned up, you will not be sorry. I have seen video games(both stand alone units and computer based) on a 10foot screen and believe me, a 50 or 60 inch RPTV can not compare. Movies, well, you think about it. Sports? You may never want to go to the ball park again, esp. with Hidef stuff. As far as apartment living goes: do you realy want to lug that mamma around, maybe more then once? Digital projectors are light, small, and can give you any number of screen sizes, all of which can be changed in the future , either up or down. Note, whatever you decide, even a 60 inch RPTV is heads and shouders above a traditional TV and you will enjoy it. You will find that going out to the movies is often a disapointment in compareson to viewing them on your home system. The quality of both sound and picture, unless you are in a top flight THX theater, is mostly better. And with the cost of DVDs( Esp. used ones) the economics justify the expenditure if you are a heavy movie goer. Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks