front projector,or plasma?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by manxral, Aug 8, 2006.

1. manxral

manxral Auditioning

Hey..

im having trouble deciding on what to go. either stay with a CRT TV and purchase a front projector for movies. or, just buy a plasma screen for both uses -tv and movies.

im looking for the best possible experience. and front projectors really, cant be beaten in that area. but i understand that replacing the bulb is quite expensive. however, since its just for movies.. maybe its a good choice.

what do guys think?:

2. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

If you can make your room really dark for watching, go for the projector. if you only watch movies, your bulb will last several years, depending on the projector. I have a Panasonic AE300, bought in August 2003, still on the first bulb. In eco mode the bulb will last 5000 hours, of which I have not yet reached half. I will replace the projector due to fast technological improvements before I have to replace the lamp; and so will you, I guess.

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Definitely a projector. What do you consider quite expensive? The average bulb costs about $300. BUT, you may only replace it every few years. I've had my projector almost 2 years and I'm on the original bulb. I'll probably upgrade to a HD projector before I need to replace the bulb.

4. manxral

manxral Auditioning

thats exactly my thinking. since im gonna watch movies on the projector, i wouldnt mind spending every couple of years around 300. thats fine by me. asides that, i went to see some projectors today and since im on entery level budget , i focuosed on a couple of sharp projectors. the xr10x and the xr10s.

both are great. the only difference i found was in resolution. the 10s gives 800x600 compared to the 10x which gives 1024x768. the S model is 200$ less. but i cant figure it out. does that justify the 200$ difference??

i hardley noticed any real advanteges over the 800x600 model.

??

5. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

800x600 is too low resolution, you will see screen door effect. Look at the Panasonic ae900 or the Sanyo Z4 or the Hitachi 200, all of which are offered at reasonable prices (below 2000$) and have 16:9 panels.

or wait after CEDIA next month where the next generation will be announced.

6. Stevecatch

Stevecatch Auditioning

To answer your original question, a projector would be best suited for your needs. A 3000 hour bulb would last you through about 1500 movies theoretically (in actuality, it's hard to guess, maybe more, probably less). So you may go for years before you have to replace the bulb.

It's not so much the resolution as it is the aspect ratio you need to consider. If you want to watch widescreen movies, you'll want to get a projector with a 16:9 aspect ratio, not the 4:3 that an XR10X has. Getting a 16:9 will prevent letterboxing your movies and provides a much better experience all-around. Look around at some 480p and 720p projectors and pick one of those. 720p should be dropping in price here rather shortly.

7. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    First you need to decide between a DLP or LCD projector. What is your budget for projector? You can do better than the 2 you mentioned for the same or less money.