Front Projector Help

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jim DeSisto, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Jim DeSisto

Jim DeSisto Auditioning

I am in the process of finishing my Home Theater and want to put up a front projector. Unfortunately, the HT room has become a little more elaborate than planned.(Don't they always). So my budget is a little tight to spend another 5-8 K on a new LCD or DLP projector. My company has a Sharp XG-E3000U 3 panel LCD projector that they are willing to sell me, but I am not sure if this will do for the time being. Anyone have experience with this projector or have any thoughts regarding Home Theater use. Your expertise is appreciated.

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

That sharp is worth maybe $200-300 or so, depending on condition, and isn't a very good choice for home theater. It's very dim (600 lumens), but more importantly, has only 100:1 contrast, which is way too low. It uses a 375w metal halide bulb, which isn't great for the color temp (so when you calibrate it, brightness and contrast will fall even further).

What exactly is your budget? Have you viewed any DLP projectors? How big is the screen going to be?

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    [​IMG] The projector is not a video source but video destination.

Moving to display devices

BTW, you don't have to spend another $5K-8K. One worthy new projector that comes to mind is the $2700 Sony HS20, a recently announced LCD projector with 1366x768 native widescreen 16x9 panels, lots of brightness and a good contrast ratio. You could make your own screen if the budget is tight, many here have done so.