What's new

Front Projector Advice (1 Viewer)

I've narrowed down the front projectors I'm interested to 2; the Mitsubishi XD300U and the Sanyo Z2. Which do you people out in home theater land think is the better choice in a room that is not completely light controlled? The Mits's specs (brightness, contrast, lamp life) destroy the Sanyo, but I'm not sure if that's not misleading. The only thing that annoys me about the mits is that it's a native 4:3, which I've been told isn't a really big issue for 16:9 stuff, and the stupid VGA imputs. Thanks.

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator
I suggest you go to Projector Central for a "stare and compare" if you haven't already.

1). What do you want? DLP or LCD

2). Do you want Native 16:9 or native 4:3?

3). Do you want to spend $2000 or $5000?

4). Do you want a Digital Input? (I don't understand $5000 and no DVI)

These are just some of the comparisons between these two that need to be decided on.

I have the Z2, so if you have any questions I currently have this post going now. Please post if I can answer anything for you.

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator
Your right, I was looking at the price when it first was released I guess. I was also told by ISC personel, that you would be hard pressed to get 2100 lumens out of the box...maybe any box. I know that when they metered a Runco that was rated for 1700 lumens, it only kicked out 600 and some change. So I really don't pay too much attention to it.

I have a habit of buying things without seeing them first, I suggest you do not do this, to be safe. Although it was a good gamble with the Z2.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
Some z2 owners - by no means all - are complaining of vertical banding with their FPs. I would suggest you view a Z2 before you buy one. I have the Z1 and am pretty happy with it, though I have had a few technical problems.
I would definitely take most lumen ratings with a grain of salt. I think they pump up some of the grayscale settings to achieve higher numbers, and if you have your projector calibrated for proper grayscale the numbers may drop considerably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks