Front Projector Advice

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tyson Burchak, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Tyson Burchak

I've been thinking about buying a Panasonic PT-L300U or a Sanyo z2. How dark of a room do I need to get the most out of one of these? Thanks.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

As dark as possible.

Whatever situation you are looking at, remember this:

A projector can only ADD light. Get your room as dark as you can, and look at the screen. That color of gray is as dark as black can ever be. Keep this in mind.

Also keep in mind a digital will worsen things since it can't create blacks anyway. The ideal is so dark that you can't see your hand in front of your face. Realistically, though, depending on how bright your projector is, a fair amount of light can be in the room and you can still get an acceptable image.

3. Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard Stunt Coordinator

Tyson:

When using my 300U, I keep ambient lighting at or below the level created in the room by light reflecting off the screen from the projector. So the lights are dimmed down to almost the off position. I use the low output setting for the bulb and also have turned the brightness down on the image. At work we use higher lumen output front projectors for use in rooms with lights on except in front of the screen. These projectors produce a bright image, but have lower contrast and don't do a good job with movies in a darkened room.

The 300U is a great projector and now the new model 500U will be out soon.