Front Projector $2-3000 price range?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by BrianKR, Jul 16, 2003.

1. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

I was going to hold off (6months or so to let my wallet cool off some) purchasing a FP but now that my HT room is almost done it just doesn't appear it will be complete without one.

The only thing is I don't know the first thing about which front projector to purchase. I have been reading every source of information I can find. I am looking for "help" to narrow down specific models between a $2000 to 3000 price range.
    I want to be able to use my PC on it with little to no limitations. I am a huge gaming freak and I want to be able to play my games on it with my XBox and PC as well as for watching DVD's.

The projector will be mounted 12ft from the screen (screen yet to be determined but it will have to be a pulldown since I am keeping my 57inch RPTV in the room as well) on an 8.4ft ceiling. Any advice would be "greatly" appreciated!

2. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

At this point, and that price range, I would probably wait 'til after CEDIA (first weekend in Sept.) to buy a PJ.

Betond that, you could look at the Sony HS10 (which might have a problem with your distance as it's a longer-throw lens) or an Epson TW100 if you can find one as they are being discontinued.

There's also several nice XGA machines in and around that proce range. Take a click over to projectorcentral and run a search. Look at the specs, narrow it down a bit and go from there.

RG

3. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

I guess my best bet would be to call one of the online projector places and ask questions once I find a couple units within the price range I am shooting for. I want to get a FP that will have little to no fan noise, doesn't throw off too much heat (I heard some units get pretty hot), and are easy to use. I also want to get the biggest screen available for the throw distance I have. I am not a tweaking kind of guy. I prefer to plug n play.

4. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

I saw the Sony Cineza HS10 demoed the other day. It looked fantastic. I was really really impressed. It comes in right at 3 large. I am thinking that it will be good for you as well. I think the distance from the screen would not be a problem. Check out the review as well.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...ber=3&preview=

If you get a chance, see a demo of it. You will pull out your wallet in no time. It was very impressive.

5. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

I've had the HS10 since December. This is an awesome projector for the price. You may be able to find one for under 3K easily. I paid $2300 for mine.

Try doins a search, there is a lot of information on this projector around here.

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    For digital projectors, the Panasonic L300U is a much admired 1/4 HD projector as well. It's reviews suggest it consistantly beats out more expensive projectors when it comes to image quality.

7. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

I read everything I could find today on the Panny L300U and Sony HS10. They both fit well within my price range and what I am looking for spec/features wise.

question though:
    I will have the FP set at a 12' distance from the screen. How can I determine how big of a screen I will be able to use with the pann L300U or Sony HS10? Is there a specific formula to use?

8. Michael Pineo

Michael Pineo Stunt Coordinator

Here is a calculator for the L300U:

L300U Calculator

I imagine there is one on this site for the HS10 as well (I just happen to have the link for this one because I bought an L300U).

MikeP

9. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

Thx Michael.
    I found the calculator 30 minutes ago while searching info on the 300U. I estimated I can get at least a 92" to 100" wide screen. That is exactly what I was hoping for!