front projector:16:9 or 4:3

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by khang, Sep 4, 2001.

1. khang

khang Extra

Hello
    This is probably a dumb question but I'm a newbie. If I buy a FRONT projector, what mode will I be watching cable TV? 4:3 vs 16:9 stretched...TIA

2. NateF

NateF Stunt Coordinator

Almost all projectors project in 4:3 mode, but what you see is in whatever aspect the source is sending out. So if the source is 16x9, you'll have black bars on the top and bottom (where nothing is being projected). So for normal cable, it'll be in 4:3.
    -Nate

3. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

.. and if you go for a digital projector with native 16x9 capabilities you will have the option of viewing 4:3 material boxed inside the 16x9 or stretched.
    ------------------
    The things we own end up owning us

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Or you can buy a lens that will unsquish anamorphic material

5. Jean Weitzmann

Jean Weitzmann Stunt Coordinator

It also depends on your screen shape (4:3 or 16:9).
    I use a 16:9 screen, actually 1.80 Aspect Ratio (because I only watch DVDs, not TV).
    In my CRT projector, I have two different memories (same height, but different width), one for 4:3 material (full height of the screen, with vertical bars on each side of the picture) and one for widescreen material.
    If the DVD Aspect Ratio is 1.85, the picture just fills the screen. (I use a little stretch to fill the 1.80 screen)
    If the Aspect Ratio is 2.35, there are horizontal bars at the top and bottom of the picture.
    If the Aspect Ratio is 1.66, there are small vertical bars on each side of the picture.
    My DVD player has a built-in scaler that digitaly converts letterbox DVDs into an anamorphic output, so, as far as the projector is concerned, every widescreen DVD is anamorphic. That's why I have only one memory for all widescreen DVDs.
    Otherwise, I could create additional memories with different vertical geometry to strectch letterbox DVDs.
    If you go with a 4:3 screen, it's the opposite.
    You set all your memories (4:3 or widescreen) for the same width, but with different height (full height for 4:3 and letterbox material, "vertical squeeze" for anamorphic material).
    Hence, 4:3 material is "full screen" and any widescreen material has horizontal bars at the top and bottom of the picture.
    Jean

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Or you can buy a lens that will unsquish anamorphic material

7. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

yep Jeff.. how much is the wait time on the Pannie these days again??.. i.e. provided it DOES ship at all!
    ------------------
    The things we own end up owning us