front projection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rodney wiley, Feb 26, 2002.

1. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

I have a question. I want to move from rear to front projection but I have a concern on watching the front projection everyday as a regular tv. Do you guys know of any problems that may occur? Also what is good source for a good used unit. Three kids and a House note warrant a used unit. Thanks a bunch

2. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

Front projectors require total light control for optimal viewing conditions. If you are considering a projector for your living room or family room it may not be feasible or even possible to block out all of the light for daytime TV viewing.

Most projector bulbs have a life span of 1000 to 2000 hours and can be expensive (I know the bulb for my Sony VW10HT runs $450-$500). I've put about 300 hours on my bulb in 9 months of only watching movies on DVD.

Just some things to consider.

3. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

If you plan to use a digital pj for everyday tv viewing,the bulb expense is gonna get you,plus you still need a realtivly dark room.Now,if you go with a used crt,you will be able to get alot more hours out of the tubes but a totally dark room is a must.
    I suggest just keeping the rptv for normal tv viewing and use the fp for movies and special occasions.I also suggest getting over to www.avsforum.com and doing alot of reading there

4. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Rodney- AVScience.com ususally has good prices on B-Stock units (refurbished); email Jason Turk over at AVS and ask what kind of deals hes got going.

I'll second Chads suggestion that you keep the existing TV for watching everyday television. Use the FPTV for movies, HDTV, and things like Superbowl parties. Bulb price can become an issue, but with my LT150 it costs $0.30 an hour in bulb costs to watch anything. Thats not too bad, especially considering everything else I spend money on in this hobby.

AVS (and this forum) have a for-sale section, and usually you can poke around and get a good deal from an honest person.

5. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

I have considered keeping the rptv for everyday viewing but if I keep it I will have to mount the screen infront of it and then it will be too close to the first row of seating. Maybe I will just get a larger rptv but that can be alot more money. I was looking at a 70 inch Mit but I just cant spend over 3k and even at that I would have to use trusty old lay a way.

6. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I wrestled with this very same "problem" when constructing my home theater. What is comes down to is this - your picture will be only as good as your source material and the larger the screen the more noticeable the warts become. That said, I watch DVD's and HDTV as well as LDs on my Sony VW10HT and leave everything else (including non-HDTV via satellite, etc.) to my RPM. DVD's in progressive mode look great and HDTV is astounding. All other sources pale by comparison and it's the source, not the display. A true case of GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out).

And, with the price of the Sony VW10HT dropping to less than $3700 high quality, HDTV capable, true 16:9 ratio projection is more affordable than ever. Yes, the bulb costs ~$450 but I've had my unit for almost two years and have well over 1000 hours on the bulb with absolutely, positively no maintenance nor degradation in picture quality. Even when I increase the number of hours I use the FP (as more HDTV broadcasts emerge) I don't expect the cost of the bulbs to be a major factor. I'm anticipating about 2000 hours on the bulb (can't say for sure because I didn't think I'd still be on the first bulb at the 2 year mark!) and this has turned from being a minor concern to a non-issue.

I was also originally looking at the used CRT market, buying into all the hype of the "better" picture, etc. However, after two years with my Sony VW10HT, I glad that I didn't go in that direction. In the first place, I prefer to get something new with a warrantee. Secondly, CRTs come with so much baggage compared to modern LCD/DLP models (immense weight, the need for a lot of adjustments, uneven light distribution, eventual replacement of expensive components, etc.) that the oft quoted "blacker blackers" issue doesn't justify the additional inconvenience and other performance issues.

That's my opinion on this. Five or ten years ago CRT was the only serious game in town. Those who still hold that attitude are either deluding themselves or haven't seen quality LCD's or DLP's in action.

Get that FP.