Front Projection Screen Vibration?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by David_MSP, Sep 19, 2004.

1. David_MSP

David_MSP Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering if anyone has had problems with their manual pull-down or electric screens vibrating (and thereby affecting the picture quality) due to a movie's soundtrack? A friend of mine just told me he went with a fixed tensioned screen mounted on the wall for his DLP projector to avoid the screen vibrating while watching DVDs. In all the reviews I've read, regarding front projectors, screens, and home theater in general, I've never heard of this. The only time I've read anything about screens vibrating was when I looked into the possibility of a perforated screen with speakers behind it.

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

I have a pull down da-lite screen with my SVS 16-46PCi located just to the left of the screen, and I've never had a vibration problem.

Matt

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Sounds like your friend's ceiling is vibrating, causing the screen to vibrate. Either that, or his subwoofer port is pointed straight at his screen.

Let's hope his front projector isn't vibrating either. [​IMG]

4. David_MSP

David_MSP Stunt Coordinator

Thanks to both Matthew and Max! I appreciate your feedback.

By the way, Matthew, since you mentioned having a pull-down Da-Lite screen, can I ask what you think of the quality and if it stays nice and flat without being tensioned?

5. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

I have the Model B pull down with video spectra (gain of 1.5) fabric.

My particular screen stays flat without any tension, although most people who have pull downs seem to complain about wrinkles. I think I got lucky.

I have heard that the only material that will reliably not wrinkle with a pull down screen is the high power material (which is generally fine with a floor or table mount projector, but usually not good with a ceiling mount projector, unless it's mounted very low on the ceiling.

Matt

6. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

I use the da-lite model b 100", high power, pull down screen, and it has no wrinkles, and it does not vibrate.
    I'm happy with how this screen preforms so far, and that's over 3 years now.
    Vb