Front projection screen doesn't hang flat?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by _Alan Preston_, Nov 7, 2003.

1. _Alan Preston_

I have a 120" roll-up screen, which I am using with an Epson EMP-TW10 projector.

The screen is only about 3 weeks old, but I have noticed it doesn't hang flat. There are some minor ripples right across, which are not a problem, but near the bottom right corner there is a large ripple which is quite annoying, especially at times when there is a lot of light in the picture.

Does anyone know if this is normal for a roll-up type projection screen?

I want to go back to the shop and get them to replace it, but I want to be sure of my facts before I do so.

Is it normal to expect some ripples in a roll-up screen, or is my one defective?

TIA
    Alan

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    My old 84" pulldown screen had ripples but you could only notice it from sharp viewing angles (to the extreme sides). 120" is quite a large screen for a pulldown. Question - Do you use the pulldown feature or do you leave the screen in position all the time? The reason I ask is because I used to leave my screen down all the time which defeated the purpose of the pulldown. In effect, I could have mounted a permanent screen.

3. Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard Stunt Coordinator

Ripples that you describe are normal in pull down screens. Some pull down screens have tensioning devices which put a slight stretch to the screen and eliminate those ripples.

4. _Alan Preston_

Neil, I definitely do use the pull-down feature. That is one of the best things for me about using a projector, as I don't have a room I can use as a dedicated home theater.

I'm not sure what to do. I'm wondering whether I would be best to stick with what I have, as it is watchable, just an annoyance. Mainly when the camera is panning, the background seems to have a wave in it, near the bottom right.

5. Scott.T

Scott.T Agent

Alan,

My 100" pull down had a few ripples as you described. It is improving as time goes by. Now I don't notice them.

6. Rik P

Rik P Stunt Coordinator

Let it hang down at night or when your not home, this well help get wrinkles out faster. Im my experience anyway

Rick

7. _Alan Preston_

Ok, thanks guys, I think I will take your advice and see how it goes.

It's not so much of an issue with 16:9, or 2.35:1 material, as the image doesn't go all the way down the screen then anyway.

Scott, I set up TV running through the PJ on Saturday night, and watched the All Blacks game on it.
    Dang, that was good. Good game too...

I was pleasantly surprised too, in that the standard tv picture didn't look too bad at that size.
    Sure, in long range shots, showing the audience etc, the people were indistinct blobs, but in any other shot the resolution was not a distraction at all.

BTW, non-antipodean HTF members, the "All Blacks" is the New Zealand national rugby team, and the game on Sat was the quarter final of the World Cup. We beat South Africa ( a VERY well-respected team) by 29 -9.

Cheers,
    Alan.

8. Scott.T

Scott.T Agent

Yeah, bring on Australia! I'm looking forward to watching the All Blacks beat Austalia in the semi, and England in the final on the big screen!